basic questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by timco, Apr 22, 2008.

1. timco

timco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hello all! We have 2 BR, 2 Aruacana, and 2 RIRs. I built a 5x4 coop, and a 10x12 or so run. We are in the city and have seen a few coons, and 1 hawk in our back yard, but that's about it. How safe am I just putting a lid on this around trees that cats can climb in on and leaving the rest open?(7 feet high walls of poultry wire) Next quesation is how high off the floor should the highest roost be? They all like the higher roost, which is about 3 feet up. 3rd question is I was thinking of not building the nest boxes for a few weeks (they are 9 weeks old) so they will get into roosting before seeing a nest box. Is this wise?

Thanks, Tim

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    i would put a cover over your run.that way nothing can get to your hens.

3. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    You are right about the nest boxes. Don't put them in until they are almost ready to lay eggs. I have never had a problem with hens roosting in nest boxes.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd cover that run , too, which is what we're working on now![​IMG]

5. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I had chicken wire on my run roof and I ended up putting a hard roof on because of the weather. It keeps it dry and shady.

My girls roosted in the nest boxes for a couple of months after I put them in, and I had to clean the poop out each morning, but then they quit for some reason and don't do it now.

6. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    I'd suggest making your coop as predator-proof as possible. I've seen how devastated folks get when they lose one of their chickens. You know what they say about an ounce of prevention...[​IMG] [​IMG]

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by