Basic Showing Questions

janchilds

Songster
11 Years
Nov 27, 2011
Virginia
Do I have to have an NPIP flock to show my birds? If not, are health papers or some equivalent needed?

How old is too old for a show bird? I have a couple of 2 and 3 year olds that are gorgeous. Are they too old to show?

How young is too young? My hens didn't start laying until late this spring. What is the minimum age of show birds?

If I want to show a breed not recognized by APA, should I bring a copy of the breed standard set by the breed association? (I know I can't place higher than variety)

Do I have to be a member of APA to show in state and regional shows?

Thanks!

You’d have to look up your state specific rules but in Wisconsin, anyway, people showing birds must have all birds over four months tested for pullorum typhoid annually according to the National Poultry Improvement Plan. This I think is different from the NPIP certified flocks, but I’m not sure.
As long as a bird is healthy and in good condition and wouldn’t be too stressed by the experience, it’s never too old to show a bird. I’ve heard of a d’Anvers hen being shown at either 6 or 8, not sure.
The minimum age is probably 4 months. Yes, you could show younger, but they won’t meet the Standard and won’t win.

You can bring a copy and put it on top of the cage if you would like. The judge might use it, might not, who knows. Either way, it would show that you are committed to exposing the public to the breed and getting it recognized.

You don’t need to be a member of the APA to show at APA shows.

You’d have to look up your state specific rules but in Wisconsin, anyway, people showing birds must have all birds over four months tested for pullorum typhoid annually according to the National Poultry Improvement Plan. This I think is different from the NPIP certified flocks, but I’m not sure.
As long as a bird is healthy and in good condition and wouldn’t be too stressed by the experience, it’s never too old to show a bird. I’ve heard of a d’Anvers hen being shown at either 6 or 8, not sure.
The minimum age is probably 4 months. Yes, you could show younger, but they won’t meet the Standard and won’t win.

You can bring a copy and put it on top of the cage if you would like. The judge might use it, might not, who knows. Either way, it would show that you are committed to exposing the public to the breed and getting it recognized.

You don’t need to be a member of the APA to show at APA shows.
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom