Batch of chicks not growing

Poultrybonkers

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 22, 2011
My Coop
My Coop
My nyd chicks havent grown the only ones. Growing are three in a different bin. My others are with bantams that i got recently. Can worms stunt the growth if they have worms? What else can cause them to not grow. Even the bantams arent growing.

They're only less than 2 weeks old.
Where would chicks obtain worms?
Start with good bloodlines, good nutrition, clean water and huge ventilation and there are no issues.

They're only less than 2 weeks old.
Where would chicks obtain worms?
Start with good bloodlines, good nutrition, clean water and huge ventilation and there are no issues.

Possibly from the two bantams i got from someone whos birds apparently were sick. I got a adult bantam hen that had bad scaly leg mites she came with 5 chicks only two are still alive. From the same person.

If you haven't already treat those chicks with a good quality mite dust ASAP. Carbaryl (sevin dust) is good, sprinkle a good amount in your hand, rub your hands together and then rub it all over the chicks. Treat the hen too and any other chicks that was in contact with them. Parasites can and will KILL chicks, not just stunt them. Feed them a good quality chick starter, the hen too, it will be good for her.

If you haven't already treat those chicks with a good quality mite dust ASAP. Carbaryl (sevin dust) is good, sprinkle a good amount in your hand, rub your hands together and then rub it all over the chicks. Treat the hen too and any other chicks that was in contact with them. Parasites can and will KILL chicks, not just stunt them. Feed them a good quality chick starter, the hen too, it will be good for her.

I already treated the hen with invermectin shes looks about 90% better. She wasnt in with the two smaller bantams they had them in seperate bins when I got them. The last two chicks that was with the hen are in with my seramas. I already treated them aswell. Im feeding them dumor chick grower but is for game birds could that be the reason? Plus ive been giving them medicated chick starter.

A game bird starter may possibly be too high in protein. What is the protein percentage of the feed and how long have you been feeding it?

Last edited:
A game bird starter may possibly be too high in protein. What is the protein percentage of the feed and how long have you been feeding it?

Apparently my bag doesnt say game birds but doesnt list chickens on it saids turkeys,chukar,etc it has 24% protein its the same feed i was giving my seramas when they were chicks.

Back
Top Bottom