Bath time and a few questions

MamaGantz3002

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2023
So my ducklings Quackles and Waddles got into the bath for the first time yesterday we only let them have a little bit of water to cover their feet. Today we added a little but more and they had a blast. We had them in there for about 15 minutes with the water around 75°. My question is when do you add more time for them to stay in the water? We have about three-four more weeks till they can be outside but worried about having them get wet outside since it can still snow here in May. Enjoy the Photos of them playing in the water.

Attachments

• 4395DBDA-9140-454E-94B8-9C8615499B45.jpeg
    4395DBDA-9140-454E-94B8-9C8615499B45.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 22DE1D49-F724-4826-BC6C-79AC39C92203.jpeg
    22DE1D49-F724-4826-BC6C-79AC39C92203.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DCB56D0A-E735-4807-A804-CE6F751EE8DF.jpeg
    DCB56D0A-E735-4807-A804-CE6F751EE8DF.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 2
  • D5321676-A202-4A29-B91E-4C9C3BD7C3A1.jpeg
    D5321676-A202-4A29-B91E-4C9C3BD7C3A1.jpeg
    416.4 KB · Views: 2
So my ducklings Quackles and Waddles got into the bath for the first time yesterday we only let them have a little bit of water to cover their feet. Today we added a little but more and they had a blast. We had them in there for about 15 minutes with the water around 75°. My question is when do you add more time for them to stay in the water? We have about three-four more weeks till they can be outside but worried about having them get wet outside since it can still snow here in May. Enjoy the Photos of them playing in the water.
they only need a short time each day playing in the water -- supervised. You can make the water deeper so that they have to swim and not wade! My muscovy raised from a few days old didn't like swimming and started jumping out of the washing up bowl that I was using for him after about a week to 10 days old. My son's pekins loved their swim time and went in daily for 10 to 15 minutes supervised swim and play.

Ducklings should be supervised in water until they are fully feathered, as they can easily waterlog before then. When they are old enough to have free access to water, be sure that they are able to get out of the water -- stones or blocks that they can get onto and out of the water are essential. While muscovy are quick to jump out, mallard derived breeds are not and need low depth steps from blocks or stones on the inside and outside of their wading pool

they only need a short time each day playing in the water -- supervised. You can make the water deeper so that they have to swim and not wade! My muscovy raised from a few days old didn't like swimming and started jumping out of the washing up bowl that I was using for him after about a week to 10 days old. My son's pekins loved their swim time and went in daily for 10 to 15 minutes supervised swim and play.

Ducklings should be supervised in water until they are fully feathered, as they can easily waterlog before then. When they are old enough to have free access to water, be sure that they are able to get out of the water -- stones or blocks that they can get onto and out of the water are essential. While muscovy are quick to jump out, mallard derived breeds are not and need low depth steps from blocks or stones on the inside and outside of their wading pool
Thank you we were not planning on the ducks, so we are learning a bit as we go. But my mom had some when she was younger and couldn’t resist getting some. We recently lost her mom and I thought this would be a good for her.

Thank you we were not planning on the ducks, so we are learning a bit as we go. But my mom had some when she was younger and couldn’t resist getting some. We recently lost her mom and I thought this would be a good for her.
As it happens, I wasn't planning on ducks, too. But they are addictive and beware of duck math!! [you can never have enough ducks]

Back
Top Bottom