Bath with Mite Treatment?

KatieG509

Songster
7 Years
Jan 5, 2017
Westminster, Colorado
Hello!
I noticed mites on one of my adult chickens this morning. We cleaned out the coop today, sprayed the inside and chickens with permethrin spray and sprinkled permethrin dust over the new bedding. I plan on re-spraying next weekend. I think you can use the permethrin dust every couple days, correct? So I’ll sprinkle it again in a few days.

We have 2 adults right now, and I only saw a few mites on one chicken. The other has quite a lot, and I’m wondering if there is a way to clean the mites/eggs/skin/whatever that is matted to her feathers? Should I just give her a bath with some mild soap? And should I retreat her with the permethrin after?

The picture below is NOT my chicken, but this is what her feathers look like (it’s night where I am, so I can’t go grab a pic of her). Thanks!
A4D3876F-5150-4243-B7B0-96DFC31B236C.jpeg

Thank you!
I have this poultry license issue also. I dipped/scrubbed all my 23 hens today and bombed the coop after cleaning. Most of my birds are fine but 2 hens are really lethargic and looking bad. I brought them in, rinsed them again, and put them on a heating pad for the night...it was 10% pirethrin and I used about 1.5 cups in about 35q of water. It has to be the dosing, but it's only 2 hens.

Back
Top Bottom