Bathing an injured hen

kmdsparrow

Chirping
12 Years
May 10, 2010
Good morning! One of my hens wont leave the nest box since yesterday and it doesn't seem like she is broody. It looks like maybe a hawk attacked her and maybe she was able to escape to the coop. It looks like maybe dried blood and as though it strted to eat her. What should I do? I figure I should clean the wound out by putting her in a bath? What would I put in the bath if that is the right thing to do? I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

No need for a bath; that will probably cause more stress. I would gently clean the wound so you remove any dirt and debris, use some hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound and then just daily touch ups with painkiller free Neosporin. She should probably be isolated while she heals; somewhere that the other chickens can’t peck at her wound and so the wound doesn’t get dirty.

we had a hen get attacked by a hawk..she was very docile and the bath was no big deal altho we just cleaned around the wound, we didn't soak her. We used Dawn dish soap but like was mentioned dabbed the wound with peroxide then applied Neosporin. We also kept her away from the other hens for a couple of days. She'll need time to decompress so a relaxing atmosphere is best. Wife brought her into the house, set up a box a for her and played nature music off of YouTube yea I know sounds goofy but she stayed in her box and seemed to enjoy the solitude.

No need for a bath; that will probably cause more stress. I would gently clean the wound so you remove any dirt and debris, use some hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound and then just daily touch ups with painkiller free Neosporin. She should probably be isolated while she heals; somewhere that the other chickens can’t peck at her wound and so the wound doesn’t get dirty.
Thank you. I tried to wash it a littleand have her separated with her own food and water. She seems to like that.

Back
Top Bottom