bathing water available at all times? (ducklings)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by klf73, Jul 4, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have some ducklings that are only a few days old(runners). I have a tote that is only about 2 inches high and is 12 x 9. I brought them outside and they loved "swimming" in their box. I was going to put it in the brooder but wasnt' sure if it was a bad idea? I can put the lid on it too and just open certain times of the day or leave it available all the time? what would be best? they can hop right in and out no problem if that matters...

2. beardiemom

beardiemom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Western MA
    We have magpies, and while they did try swimming in the little cement mixer pool we put out last summer, this summer they wouldn't touch the kiddy pool we bought them. They need to be able to dunk their beaks (heads) and groom that way. So as long as they have access to a bucket of water, you don't need to put out a pool for constant access. Besides, you need to be careful that they don't drown accidentally, so watch the water carefully.

Sharon

3. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Bad idea, they will be in it all the time and then chill. Not to mention the mess. All they need is water to clean their faces, or better nostrils. The once per day swim is more then enough.

4. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    While I'm sure they'd love it, it's a bad idea and will make more work for you. They will turn it into "pea soup" [​IMG] within 15 minutes, and splash it everywhere.

I let my ducklings out morning, noon, and night (literally) so I can clean their brooder, and while they are out they get a run around and a swim. This seems to keep everyone happy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by