Bator loaded to the gills and losing power! help!

peachychick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Heart of Dixie
we have the incubator full (192 eggs) and received a message Sun. that the power company will be changing our meter over to a smart-meter sometime shortly. My hubby emailed and asked for an extension, but if they go ahead with the switch is there anything we can do to preserve this hatch?
AL Power estimates 5-10 minutes without electricity. We'd read a while back about putting blankets and the like over the bators but didn't know if there's anything to that idea. We have a gqf sportsman and a hova, which we use as a hatcher.
At what point should we hook to a generator if the tech runs into problems with the meter? Any thoughts?

Like mentioned above, that's not much time to worry about. But, since you know ahead, a jar with lid of water at the temp of the incubator will hold temps for a while if shut off, also a (clean) rock will hold the temps for a while if shut off. Good luck!

I would think it wouldn't have time to lose much heat in 10 minutes! Cover it up/insulate it if you can. If you're worried that it'll be longer, you can always see if you can borrow a generator from someone!

we had a power outage about a week ago in the ice storm and my temp dropped to 84 degrees and they are hatching now i didn't think any would hatch but my lg is full of peeping fuzzy butts. .sojono.

Thank you all for the ideas! I had never thought about the rock idea, but now that you mentioned it, I remember my mom buying some baskets that came with a stone to keep the bread warm. I'll have the kiddos see what they can find lying around in the flower beds. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom