Bats in the chicken house!!!

fjordsrule

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 8, 2008
We are using a log building that was a green house for our chickens. The bats are roosting in the rafters and logs, leaving piles of feces. Is this dangerous to my chickens and do I need to move them. We live in the mountains in Colorado and a neighbor just had bats removed from their log house and apparently have now found my chicken house. I am new to chickens, our Americaunas are 4 months old , and am so looking forward to fresh eggs. Any info on bats and chickens would be hreatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am in Colorado too!!

I would try to remove the bats nesting materials and such wile the bats are out getting bugs. I haven't heard the guano being bad for them, but I can't imagine it being good for them.

I would put up some bat houses and then block off the bats from the coop or the area they are preferring to sleep. Bats are extremely beneficial to have around and more people need to put in the effort to encourage them. However they do leave lots of waste and it can become unsanitary for other animals. There are plans all over the internet for very easy large bat houses. I made one that holds 1000 bats out of leftover chunks of plywood and 1" framing boards and stuck it on the outside of my coop.

I would be very concerned about keeping bats around since they are known carriers of rabies. As stated, they are beneficial, but I would encourage them to stay well away from your home and animals.

Thanks for the reply. We are on a 650 acre ranch near Lake George, CO. It is owned by a partnership where owners come and stay in the log lodge. Several years ago the bats were in the lodge and a new roof had to be put on. We have lots of bat houses around that the bats never go in. My concern if I seal off the chicken coop now they may try to get into the lodge again. I'm hoping someone can answer for sure that the chickens will be ok or I may have to find them other accomodations. Thanks again.

I have heard with any exposure to bats you should have rabies shots. Something about their teeth being so tiny you might not know if you have been bitten? I dont know about that for sure but its something to keep in mind! I like bats but our "bat house" is well away from the human house!

Back
Top Bottom