Battery Hens

I am looking to get some laying hens but i cant find any for a reasonable price so i thought i would do a good deed and rescue a battery hen

You already know about Hertzfelds at Grand Rapids. There are two small farmers at Wauseon and another one in Monclova. Just west of Tecumseh MI in Tipton is another tiny producer. The majority of battery hens are in the Celina to Greenville area in Ohio.

Good luck getting some battery hens! Might be harder here than in places like the UK because of the way the farming system if viewed. They'll probably not charge you much, but if you have others, do quarantine them really well when you get them.

That makes me so sad. You're doing a wonderful thing.
yippiechickie.gif

Dang, Eddie - those are the same birds?!?! Incredible!!! What happened with their floppy combs? It looks like they shrunk significantly...

Sheesh! Talk about diamonds in the rough... They're just gorgeous, now!

-Naomi

About a month ago some posted that same thing but they were in Cali. If you do a search for that post I added a link so you can find battery houses near you.
Good luck!

Quote:
Because the birds are kept in a warm house, they use thier combs to cool down. After a week or two, they shrink back down

going to get another 4 when the weather warms up a bit.

they lay nice big brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom