Battling the MUD !

416bigbore

Ruffus and Big Boy
Jun 11, 2020
NC
This years has been an above average rainfall for us and battling the muddy conditions has been non stop. Rainfall or just the water that the Ducks splash out onto the bare ground from their pool will generate mud very quickly. Everyone with Ducks know how much they love to dig in the mud and make a bigger mess.

I found these 6ft.x8ft. indoor/outdoor area rugs to work very well to put under their little pools to cover up the muddy mess that they have created. It stops them from digging right there and their pool water stays cleaner for longer then 2 minutes.

I noticed with the typical green artificial indoor outdoor carpet, the green fibers seemed to fall out or pull out quite easily, unlike the area rugs that use a short tight woven material. The Ducks seem to like walking on the soft rugs and it cleans up very nicely with the garden hose, no more poo! :)

I didn't think the price was to out of line for not having to deal with the constant muddy mess. At the time we bought these rugs they were on sale for something like $18.26. Maybe this might help someone else with their muddy mess. :)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Foss-Un...ndoor-Outdoor-Area-Rug-CP45N41PJ1VH/202800194

Attachments

• New Carpet.jpg
    New Carpet.jpg
    940 KB · Views: 14
I wonder if the ground below is perpetually wet and breeding bacteria....

To counteract mud here I built a sloped ducky deck and use a stock tank sunk into it as a pool. Being a sloped deck water runs away and out of the pen. The deck allows air flow under it keeping the ground substantially more dry.

Do lift the side of a rug and look for mold, wetness and odor.

I wonder if the ground below is perpetually wet and breeding bacteria....

To counteract mud here I built a sloped ducky deck and use a stock tank sunk into it as a pool. Being a sloped deck water runs away and out of the pen. The deck allows air flow under it keeping the ground substantially more dry.

Do lift the side of a rug and look for mold, wetness and odor.
Thanks for bringing up the mold issue. :) I do keep an eye on things under the rugs every few days to make sure nothing bad is brewing. Then when the sun is out I uncover everything so the sun can get a chance to dry things up.

Since our ground is full of clay the extra water that doesn't soak into the ground likes to create mud puddles. The bad thing now is, with our heat and high humidity, nasty thick Algae likes to start growing. So I have been busy trying to find out if it's the toxic Blue-Green Algae or not?

I know the area rugs are not the perfect solution, they are just a Band-Aid for an on going issue.

I did see your pics you have posted awhile back, looks like it would work very well. :) I will be doing something similar to that when we move our flock to a more permanent spot.

Attachments

• BGA 01.jpg
    BGA 01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • BGA 02.jpg
    BGA 02.jpg
    806.3 KB · Views: 7
  • BGA 03.jpg
    BGA 03.jpg
    752.2 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for bringing up the mold issue. :) I do keep an eye on things under the rugs every few days to make sure nothing bad is brewing. Then when the sun is out I uncover everything so the sun can get a chance to dry things up.

Since our ground is full of clay the extra water that doesn't soak into the ground likes to create mud puddles. The bad thing now is, with our heat and high humidity, nasty thick Algae likes to start growing. So I have been busy trying to find out if it's the toxic Blue-Green Algae or not?

I know the area rugs are not the perfect solution, they are just a Band-Aid for an on going issue.

I did see your pics you have posted awhile back, looks like it would work very well. :) I will be doing something similar to that when we move our flock to a more permanent spot.

It is good you are letting the sun dry things up.

A tip on the ducky deck.....put the ball valve OUTSIDE the pen. My ducks seem to take great delight in pooping on my access door. 🤮

Back
Top Bottom