Bawk! Bawk! BaWAAK!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Reinbeau, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Last night my big BO hun (14 weeks old now) started Bawking! before she went into the coop. Repeatedly. It was dusk, they were all starting to march into the coop. Was she calling stragglers? I've never heard her (or any of them) do this before - and it was loud! You can tell I'm a totally new chicken owner, everything is curious to me! [​IMG]

2. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    Mine havent did that.....:| except when they all were doing it together at a red squirrel, oh and the skunk. Then they all did it together. Interesting eh?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    It's possible she spotted some type of predator or if she was the only one left in the run to was calling to find out where the rest went.

4. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Mine only do that when they see a stray cat in the yard somewhere.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Must have been something strange in the yard. The first time a Red Tailed Hawk flew over their yard, they headed from their yard into the run. The run is covered. They had never seen a hawk before and they were about 4 months old at the time.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have never heard any of our hens do that and I KNOW they do. Because we work all day we aren't there when they lay, and then, of course, on the weekends they haven't layed AT ALL. I think I have weird chickens.

7. onebuggirl

onebuggirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    My girls make a clucking as they scope out the nesting box before they lay an egg. Then when they are done with laying an egg they come out and pick up bits and pieces of mulch and put it on thier backs like they are dressing up. It is humorous to watch. I love watching my girls....harbored illegal girls [​IMG]

8. christmaschicken

christmaschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Christmas, Florida
    Mine go on laying strike on the weekends too...

It's a conspiracy lol...

9. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:This is what I thought, too, but there wasn't anything I could see, I was out there with them. I wonder what it was? There are cats around, but again, I didn't see it. No hawks, nothing flying overhead. It is interesting trying to figure out what's going on in those little bird brains! [​IMG]

10. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know ann, but I noticed mine have been very loud just the past couple of days and for no apparent reason.
    Yesterday I was in the house painting a bedroom upstairs and I could hear the girls doing the same exact thing. I checked on them and everything was fine, they did this for the rest of the day.
    I kept going out to check or sending my son out to check and there was nothing going on.
    I had the window open in the room and I could hear them all day.
    Our girls are around the same age though, hmmmm.
    The mysterious of the chicken world.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by