BBB Turkey Growth Chart

Hardemans

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 8, 2014
We are new to turkeys. We have 6 BBB turkeys that are 7 weeks old. I weighed one the other day and he/she was 7.5 lbs. Is this a normal growth pattern? Do any of you have a growth chart for this breed?

Thanks in advance,

The Hardemans
Plantersville, TX

Growth chart for BBB: exceptionally fast.

These can reach 30 pounds for a hen or 50 pounds for a tom by Thanksgiving if started before mid June. They will just keep eating and growing, until heart failure or leg issues cause their premature death or disability.

I don't know what your plans are for these poults, but to keep them healthy for more than six months, they need careful management, including providing a well balanced diet.

Thanks Walnut Hill,

Our plans are to harvest these before Thanksgiving. Likely once the toms reach 30 lbs and the hens 20. For Thanksgiving we will get some in late June and grow them out.

We have them, on 30% protein feed now and will keep them on it until a month before harvesting. Will switch to a finisher type feed.

The Hardemans

Sounds great! The first year I raised a Broad Breasted Bronze, about 17 years ago, I received an "extra" poult from a friend who didn't have the space for as many as he got. He grew to 52 pounds by Thanksgiving...and was delicious, but never again do I want to try to handle a turkey that large.

I can imagine it was like a professional wrestling match. I have heard of them getting too big for the oven. Hopefully I won't let that happen.

One, these turkeys take a lot less time to cook as they aren't pumped up with salt water.
Two, the oven is a 1934 Garland gas range, packed with asbestos and gas fired. It holds moisture just like a roasting pan.
Three, he was a young tom, only six months old.
Four, I never cook a turkey to more than 165F in the thigh. I stuff it with hot stuffing, and start the oven hot, then turn down just as soon as the skin starts to glaze. That helps hold the juices in. When the bird is done, the stuffing isn't, so I pull the bird, put the stuffing in a casserole and put that back into the oven to finish, then cover the bird with foil and towels and let it rest 20 minutes before carving.

As this was my first big turkey ever, I called the Butterball hotline, and they estimated 11 1/2 hours to roast. So I dutifully put it in the oven at 3 a.m. for a 3:30 p.m. Thanksgiving dinner...and he was ready by 9:30 a.m. :)

Last edited:
One, these turkeys take a lot less time to cook as they aren't pumped up with salt water.
Two, the oven is a 1934 Garland gas range, packed with asbestos and gas fired. It holds moisture just like a roasting pan.
Three, he was a young tom, only six months old.
Four, I never cook a turkey to more than 165F in the thigh. I stuff it with hot stuffing, and start the oven hot, then turn down just as soon as the skin starts to glaze. That helps hold the juices in. When the bird is done, the stuffing isn't, so I pull the bird, put the stuffing in a casserole and put that back into the oven to finish, then cover the bird with foil and towels and let it rest 20 minutes before carving.

As this was my first big turkey ever, I called the Butterball hotline, and they estimated 11 1/2 hours to roast. So I dutifully put it in the oven at 3 a.m. for a 3:30 p.m. Thanksgiving dinner...and he was ready by 9:30 a.m. :)
sounds like how I cook my butterballs! That is a huge bird and I love your oven!!
I just ordered 5 poults, they should be here by sat at the latest.im only planning on keeping 2, hopefully one is a hen because I want to keep it until thanks giving and I dont want it that big!! I've never raised a turkey before, but we alwayshad them as kids. we had a tom that was 45 lbs dressed and it wouldnt fit in the freezer, so my did cut it in half.. on the table saw.. that was something i will never forget!

Back
Top Bottom