BBW laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by shareverwonder, Nov 2, 2011.

1. shareverwonder

shareverwonder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Northern Ohio
    Do BBW lay eggs? I went out into my turkey barn last nigth to close it up and low and behold there was a large white egg - pointy on one end. There was a chicken in the pen, but the egg was cold like it had been sitting there all day. My turkey is 6 months old.[​IMG]

2. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    congrats you have a one egg omlet. Yes they will lay eggs.

3. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    I hope they lay eggs, and most importantly hope they lay fertile eggs. I have a pair of the BBW birds, and my parents a trio-- that we each plan to keep back and try to naturally mate and hatch from. We'll see how that works out.

Our birds were hatched in April of this year, and my hen has been squatting now for a few weeks. I've witnessed a few times of the young gobbler trying to mate--- so I'm hoping eggs are coming soon.

We'll see how it happens.

4. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    BBW cannot mate, the angle of the dangle is insufficient to coitis. (His equipment wont reach) [​IMG]

5. kfacres

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:what if he's on a restricted diet, and has a reduced breast size...

people say Cornish Cross cannot mater naturally either-- been proven they can...

I don't see any reason that a BBW hen, can't be serviced by a Bronze tom to inject extra meat into those offspring... as a 2nd option...

like I said, we're TRYING IT.

6. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    Quote:Yeah I was wondering about what would happen with a mating like that.

7. kfacres

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:Yeah I was wondering about what would happen with a mating like that.

We've got the old fashioned type Bronze's.. have had them for over 15 years.. Actually, about 8 years ago, they got a shot of Eastern WIld injected into them.

8. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:what if he's on a restricted diet, and has a reduced breast size...

people say Cornish Cross cannot mater naturally either-- been proven they can...

I don't see any reason that a BBW hen, can't be serviced by a Bronze tom to inject extra meat into those offspring... as a 2nd option...

like I said, we're TRYING IT.

Tha was not the OP's question. Yes a BB hen can mate with a heritage tom without issues. The weight must be monitored on the BB hen to keep her healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by