BCM Candling at day 8

Debbi

Crowing
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Missouri
This is my first time hatching, and today was my first time candling. Of course, it would have to be on hard to see through eggs of the BCM! Out of 12 eggs, I think, I see 8 of them forming, and the other 4 I will call "iffy" at this point. When would be a good time to candle next?? I was thinking maybe day 14, but I sure don't want any exploding on me!
ep.gif
I sure hope the 8 I thought were good wasn't just my imagination. Definately saw some small dark objects, so hope that's them. So far, my Little Giant seems to be performing quite well. Steady temp of 99.5-99.8, and the humidity is staying between 45-50%. Sure hope some of these little ones come into the world. Been reading some threads on here about how the BCM chicks have a hard time hatching out; one more thing to rattle my nerves! So, when would you pros suggest I candle next?

It's hard to see through them. The lighter ones are easier but the dark ones are nearly impossible. On the forum, it looks like no one throws them out because it is so hard to be sure. Apparently they aren't much of the exploding kind but it's probably a good idea to sniff the incubator every few days and if it starts to smell bad, start sniffing the eggs to identify the culprit. If they are hard to see now, it won't be a lot easier in a week but once a week seems reasonable. It doesn't seem like it changes how you choose to treat the eggs, so may not be worth the infection risk (but it is very satisfying if you do see something)!).

Good luck.

Thanks! Even the lighter ones in the bunch were tough to see into. I won't pitch any and will apply the sniff test everytime I add water!

Back
Top Bottom