BCM Egg Color

trinity2883

Chirping
Jan 29, 2021
I got my BCM from the local feed store, which ships them in. I was reading that BCM from shipping don't tend to get the super dark chocolate-colored eggs unless you get super lucky, and that you only get the dark chocolate color from locally bred. Does anyone have experience with color variation from shipped or locally bred BCMs?

I know I'll find out soon enough what my BCM is going to lay (she turns 18 weeks June 7) but I'm curious.

Its not the shipping but rather where the birds come from, if the feed store source their chicks from a major hatchery the eggs most likely wont be a nice dark chocolate as they breed for high production of chicks rather than quality of the chicks. The really dark layers usually come from breeders who have been working on improving egg colour.

Agree with above, and also do not expect your BCM to lay at 18 weeks. They are generally speaking later layers. 6 months plus. 😊

Its not the shipping but rather where the birds come from, if the feed store source their chicks from a major hatchery the eggs most likely wont be a nice dark chocolate as they breed for high production of chicks rather than quality of the chicks. The really dark layers usually come from breeders who have been working on improving egg colour.
I didn't think that the actual shipping part was it, haha. Maybe I could have worded that better.

Thanks for the input, it makes sense.

My BCM from a feed store lays nice dark eggs. They label theirs "BCM better" and "BCM best" and sell them for different prices depending on which hatchery the chicks come from. I don't know what hatcheries they order from, though.

Back
Top Bottom