BCM pullet...please say pure pullet lol...

whatthecluck

Songster
11 Years
Mar 30, 2009
VeRmOnT
My breeder had these crosses listed for me:
Black Copper Marans Roo, Wheaten Marans Roo, Blue Ameraucana Roo, Welsummer Roo over the following hens:
Cuckoo Marans, Deleware, Welsummer, Wheaten Marans, Black, Blue and Wheaten Ameraucanas.
So my guess is not pure BCM.
I am just holding out hope that Violet is Violet and will in fact give me lovely dark chocolate eggs? Pure Maran? Heres pics:
violetwalkaway.jpg

violet3monthsside.jpg

violettailfeathers.jpg

violeteatingbackside.jpg

violetlayingwzoe.jpg

violetsleepy.jpg

violetonchair.jpg

violetonchairlookdown.jpg

ok now holding my breath
tongue.png

Quote:
Wheaton is a recessive gene, so you could certainly get a BC from the breeding of a BC roo and a Wheaton hen. That hen would then carry the wheaton gene and could produce it, even with a BC roo, that is, if he also carried wheaton. This is frowned upon in the high-stakes maran world, as the wheaton resulting thru BC crosses is "muddied" and not as nice a wheaton coloring as lines that focus on wheaton only....and so BC breeders don't want to produce the wheaton that way, either.

Anyway, she looks pure marans and absolutely typical of a BC marans pullet (rather than being a marans/ameraucana cross or another cross of the hens listed above). If you are wanting to breed her, I would find a BC roo for her that has no wheaton behind him.

Enjoy her!

Last edited:
Quote:
Was about to say the same thing
smile.png
it's very old times english look hehe.

Thanks! I love it too! We bought a 200 year old home that had the 2nd story coop already there, it just hadn't been used since 1942! (lots of cleaning that weekend! and I found old newspapers in the nesting boxes shredded with the dates of 1942).
Just been tricky trying to figure out how to get them outdoors as they are not interesting in going down the stairwell and out the window....may have to build a ramp to suit them.

Quote:
Wheaton is a recessive gene, so you could certainly get a BC from the breeding of a BC roo and a Wheaton hen. That hen would then carry the wheaton gene and could produce it, even with a BC roo, that is, if he also carried wheaton. This is frowned upon in the high-stakes maran world, as the wheaton resulting thru BC crosses is "muddied" and not as nice a wheaton coloring as lines that focus on wheaton only....and so BC breeders don't want to produce the wheaton that way, either.

Anyway, she looks pure marans and absolutely typical of a BC marans pullet (rather than being a marans/ameraucana cross or another cross of the hens listed above). If you are wanting to breed her, I would find a BC roo for her that has no wheaton behind him.

Enjoy her!

oooohhh of COURSE I want a BC Roo!
tongue.png
Maybe I can work on finding one in the fall and figure out a way to seperate them.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom