Beak Deformity?

Debo's Chickens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 6, 2008
Everett, WA
I just got my chickens yesterday & I didn't notice until I got them home that the Wyandotte has a weird beak. Most of the top portion is missing. Am I correct in assuming this is a deformity & I should call the guy I got them from & ask to swap it w/ another?

wyandottehen.jpg

I went to the feed store looking for some ducklings and noticed they had one with a deformed bill. Unlike your chick my duck has all of his top bill it just curls completely all the way up from the half way point. I of coarse couldn't help but want to take him home. I was afraid no one else would want him. One thing that I have to worry about with him is that one of his nostrils is closed off because of it. Another thing is that he can't pick his food off of the ground so I have to make sure that the food troughs are always full so he can scoop his food. Amazingly he still sifts through the grass just like the other ducks do and even manages to pull off a piece here and there with the very corner of his bill. I will try to post a picture of him. We named him Wild Bill. Your little chickie should do just fine.

Debo's Chickens :

Quote:
I don't think she would have been de-beaked intentionally. None of his other chickens were de-beaked.

Actually, I just talked to him. He said that when he got that batch of chicks, the hatchery had trimmed the beaks. He said it would grow back somewhat over the course of a year, but that in any case it wouldn't affect productivity.

So, I kinda don't know what to do. These chickens are to be pets as much as egg-layers. I kinda feel like a jerk to say "I don't want that one, I want a perfect one." He said I can swap it out no problem.

???????​

Debo's Chickens :

Debo's Chickens :

Quote:
I don't think she would have been de-beaked intentionally. None of his other chickens were de-beaked.

Actually, I just talked to him. He said that when he got that batch of chicks, the hatchery had trimmed the beaks. He said it would grow back somewhat over the course of a year, but that in any case it wouldn't affect productivity.

So, I kinda don't know what to do. These chickens are to be pets as much as egg-layers. I kinda feel like a jerk to say "I don't want that one, I want a perfect one." He said I can swap it out no problem.

???????

He's wrong- the beak won't grow back. A nick on the tip will, but not that.It WON'T effect productivity, but the poor girl will have a hard time eating, drinking, etc. There's some people here that rescued battery birds- they might have some tips.​

I wonder why they would trim their beaks to begin with. The whole beak trimming thing is just too painful sounding to being with, whether or not they feel it. It is your choice to exchange her. Do you want the perfect looking hen, or? She is something to talk about? Every one who comes to buy eggs or buy chickens from me always asks about my duck with the funny looking bill. They always feel so sorry for him. He has a great life now. God only knows what would have happened to him.

i just don't see how this could be a beak trim. I trim and file my bird's beaks all the time. They are like finger nails...no pain to them at all. You trim a beak with it closed...they would be no way to trim just the top that close to the face....if you look really close, it seems to be "pinched" closer to her face, that's what makes me think it's a deformity...

I'd keep her just because she deserves a good home and TLC....

Good Luck with her!!

Back
Top Bottom