Beak injury and feather question

chickity-chick

Songster
May 1, 2020
Atlanta, GA
I just noticed my hen now has a chip in her beak- she’s one of the more dominant hens I feel like- should I be worried or do anything to help it heal?

also another quick question- if there is some poop in some feathers do I have to clean it? Or will they eventually get it? I have a hen with poop on her back a tiny bit not a lot and a 8 week old with some poop on her belly butt area butt not near her vent. Is it bad to leave it in their feathers? My hens don’t really like being handled to much but if I need to step in and do something I will

Attachments

• D5702627-020F-4675-93C7-CCC9715EF72C.jpeg
    D5702627-020F-4675-93C7-CCC9715EF72C.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 08FC1B71-9DEB-4F52-A1F8-371A824F09CA.png
    08FC1B71-9DEB-4F52-A1F8-371A824F09CA.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • D3DBD454-1483-49EF-9664-8BDEC2BE7010.png
    D3DBD454-1483-49EF-9664-8BDEC2BE7010.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
The beak will be fine. It's not in an area that will bother her eating and generally being a chicken.
The poop - depends how much. I personally would quickly try and get the worst out with a cloth. If it's not too much, you could probably leave it.
Ok perfect thank you!! Also another question completely unrelated - I have accidentally ordered layer feed but my girls have yet to start laying can I use it as a treat? And give like a few pieces a day for treats? Or would that be bad to their health? I still have them on a chick starter grower as their main food.

I don't see they'd eat it for a treat. How old are they?
I find oats are a good treat every now and again.
I have one group who is almost 15weeks and the others are 8weeks old and are slowly being integrated with mingling time an hour or so a day- I was reading lots of things about how layer feed has too much calcium and not enough protein so I was debating leaving them on starter their whole lives? Hoping to get some advice on this. I can’t find non gmo organic all flock feed anywhere.

The beak will be fine. It's not in an area that will bother her eating and generally being a chicken.
The poop - depends how much. I personally would quickly try and get the worst out with a cloth. If it's not too much, you could probably leave it.
Also follow up beak question- I noticed in the first picture I took that her nostril is running- should I be concerned about this? She does sneeze occasionally. Also thank you so much for all this help- I really appreciate it

Sorry for the late reply. Didn't get notifications.

No reason to give them it, really. Not yet.
If you want to give treats, there are plenty of things they will eat.

I start my girls on the layer once they start laying.
You can also buy All-Flock feed and just supplement the oyster shell. Free choice OS in a bowl will work. They'll take it only when they need it.
Then you don't have to worry about the layers pellets harming non laying hens (including broody hens), cockerels or younger birds. If you can't find All-Flock, growers should work fine.

Once they are laying, layers feed will be fine to give them. Do you have all girls?

About the beak.
I wouldn't worry at the moment, as certain things can cause that; drinking water for a start. But if it continues, post about it just in case.

Back
Top Bottom