Beak injury

Savanamarksbary

Chirping
May 28, 2020
How worried should I be about this spot on my new guys beak? The woman I got him from said he’d only been fighting other roos. I got him about 3 weeks ago. The bottom of it is chipped. Will it heal?
3C9E0CD5-3284-4E54-AF49-4B98B4BC6DF8.jpeg

A photo of all of him would be good too.

Is he eating and drinking o.k.?

Looks like his nares (nostrils) are also clogged up. You may want to clean those out a bit.

For the beak, I wouldn't mess with it too much right now. It will probably heal o.k., but monitor it closely and don't let him get into any fights.
Provide him with wet feed which is a little easier to eat. See that he's drinking well.

Once the injury is healed. Then you can determine if the beak needs to be shaped up by smoothing and lightly filing it.

Maybe keep him separate for a while and monitor that beack, but don't touch it. It should heal just fine if left alone and not caused further injury.

A photo of all of him would be good too.

Is he eating and drinking o.k.?

Looks like his nares (nostrils) are also clogged up. You may want to clean those out a bit.

For the beak, I wouldn't mess with it too much right now. It will probably heal o.k., but monitor it closely and don't let him get into any fights.
Provide him with wet feed which is a little easier to eat. See that he's drinking well.

Once the injury is healed. Then you can determine if the beak needs to be shaped up by smoothing and lightly filing it.
He’s eating and drinking normally, and it doesn’t seem to be bothering him. He’s away from any roos to prevent any more damage too. How do I clean out his nostrils?

To clean the nostril, apply ONE drop of Peroxide on the crustiness to help dissolve and loosen the debris. Take a qtip or orange stick (cuticle stick) and gently work on removing the crust. Only apply one drop of Peroxide at a time as needed.

Back
Top Bottom