Beak issue ? Trim it ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickiechick, May 15, 2009.

1. Chickiechick

Chickiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Cottage Grove , Oregon
    This is not urgent [​IMG]

I just noticed my largest ee chick ( guessing around 4 1/2 wks ) has a slight lower beak issue.
    This is something new that has cropped up this week.
    It appears as though the lower beak tip has grown up a touch more than it should. It still sits behind the upper beak tip when it's beak is closed ( just like the other chickies ) but the lower middle section no longer meets the upper middle section so there is a gap.
    Make sense ?
    Beak closed, lower beak inside upper, front quarter "appears" closed normally , center section slightly apart when closed. You could slip the thickness of 2 sheets of paper in the current gap section.
    Do I need to file down the top front edges of the lower beak to allow correct closure ?
    Or just watch and wait ?
    I've worked with lots of turtles with simular issues and a beak grinding ( dremel ) was the treatment of choice.
    Same for chickens ?
    It's eating, active and most definately the largest of the four.
    I will try to get photos to share [​IMG]
  2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have something coarse in the coop and run that these birds can use to keep heir beaks worn down- concrete block, granite rock, patio block, bricks, sandstone...?
    I'd try that first. Let the birds keep themselves trimmed when possible.
  3. Chickiechick

Chickiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Cottage Grove , Oregon
    Thanks [​IMG]
    They are still in the brooder but there are coarse chunks of cinder blocks in there.

Photos are proving difficult to get [​IMG]
    Apparently me with a camera looks like food so I'm being rushed by excited chickies thinking it's treat time.
    If I hold her she screams none stop and won't close her beak [​IMG]
  4. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Are you supposed to have some sort of cinder block in their coop/run?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by