Beak picker,need some advice

bayouchica

Songster
13 Years
Jan 23, 2007
N.E. Louisiana
Never had this problem before...
barnie.gif
on top of that,it's a cry baby... wants to be held ALL the time!!!
They are about a week old now,little bantys.This one is colored differently than the others,little white chic..it keeps on picking on the others chics that have darker beaks. :mad:
They have plenty of room,heat,food (purina start & grow) etc...Poops are the norm.. I take them out once a day to play around.
Do they grow out of this behavior??? I've got the little whiney one on my desk as I'm typing this... don't get me wrong I love to snuggle my baby chics,but this is driving me looney!!!!!
barnie.gif

They will probably grow out of it. Just make sure they are not crowded and let the little crier cry it out with the rest. It will make some friends in the brooder and you should be free of it's attention.

Hi, we had 5 RIR chicks hatch 3-4 days ago, and one of the chicks has a really dark beak...all the other chicks went crazy for it at first and wouldn't stop pecking the poor little guy on the beak! We scattered some food on the floor of the brooder to keep them busy, and we also put an egg box in the brooder with marbles and food scattered in the holes. The chicks went crazy for this, they were all jumping on it, perching on it and trying to get the food from between the marbles...now they don't bother little Midget about his/her beak at all. I don't know if they grew out of the problem or if it was because of the distractions, but they leave Midget's beak alone now
smile.png

Could you maybe put a soft cuddly toy in with the chicks to try and stop the whiney one?? I dunno...
idunno.gif

Hi, we had 5 RIR chicks hatch 3-4 days ago, and one of the chicks has a really dark beak...all the other chicks went crazy for it at first and wouldn't stop pecking the poor little guy on the beak! We scattered some food on the floor of the brooder to keep them busy, and we also put an egg box in the brooder with marbles and food scattered in the holes. The chicks went crazy for this, they were all jumping on it, perching on it and trying to get the food from between the marbles...now they don't bother little Midget about his/her beak at all. I don't know if they grew out of the problem or if it was because of the distractions, but they leave Midget's beak alone now

Could you maybe put a soft cuddly toy in with the chicks to try and stop the whiney one?? I dunno...

that's some good advice, I've tired all the stuffed Pokemon toys,I've got lol. Seems like today it's a little better. It was driving me & my MIL crazy.Although she didn't mind cuddling the little whiner.
Today we're going to move them out in a larger brooder.The one they are in now is more than big enough for 5 banty's... so maybe it's just a mama's baby.
roll.png

thanks again,Miriam​

Back
Top Bottom