Beak trimmed, Floor raised, treated for intestinal worms

GizmoB

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
I've read on a few sites that started pullets come as such. How do I treat my chicks for worms as I'm sure I'd want them to be as healthy as possible. Why would you trim their beak and does it have to be done? What is floor raised and is it necessary?

As far as I've heard, most people don't treat for worm as preventative care, usually only if it becomes a problem. Beak trimming only needs to be done if you have a chick with a beak problem (ie; crossbeak). Normally, the chicken will keep their own beak trimmed up by pecking and scraping it hard objects. Sorry, I don't what you mean by "floor raised".

As far as I've heard, most people don't treat for worm as preventative care, usually only if it becomes a problem. Beak trimming only needs to be done if you have a chick with a beak problem (ie; crossbeak). Normally, the chicken will keep their own beak trimmed up by pecking and scraping it hard objects. Sorry, I don't what you mean by "floor raised".
Thanks! This answers at least two of my questions

What is usually meant by "beak trimmed" is that they've nipped off the end of the beak to help prevent pecking. This is done in commercial flocks that are kept in cramped, stressful conditions. It should not be necessary at all in a back yard kept flock.

Small chicks do not need to be dewormed. However, many people DO keep their mature birds on a regular deworming schedule, such as twice a year. Depends on the climate where you live as to the parasite load in the environment. To wait until you see obvious signs of a parasite infestation such as loss of weight and poor feather condition is putting your birds health at serious risk. By that time they have a heavy load of parasites and a lot of internal damage. Far better to stay on top of the situation before that happens. Chickens live on the ground, they are going to get worms, not if, but when. I deworm mine for the first time at about 6 months old and twice a year after that.

I can only assume that "floor raised" means they were raised on wire rather then simply on bedding or on the ground. Some people raise chicks on wire to try to avoid coccidiosis.

Please clarify:
*Have you purchased started pullets as described in your header
OR
*Do you have chicks and are wondering if you should raised them this way?

If you have already purchased started pullets, I can give you no advice. I, like you, am a newbie.

If you are raising chicks and wondering if/when you should debeak, etc., then it depends on how many chicks, how much space you are going to have for them, etc. For a backyard flock with ample foraging space, debeaking is unnecessary and counterproductive. It is painful and makes it more difficult for them to forage for food.

Debeaking is necessary when you are keeping a lot of birds in a small space where you are trying to prevent them from pecking each other to death.

Please clarify:
*Have you purchased started pullets as described in your header
OR
*Do you have chicks and are wondering if you should raised them this way?

If you have already purchased started pullets, I can give you no advice.  I, like you, am a newbie.

If you are raising chicks and wondering if/when you should debeak, etc., then it depends on how many chicks, how much space you are going to have for them, etc.  For a backyard flock with ample foraging space, debeaking is unnecessary and counterproductive.  It is painful and makes it more difficult for them to forage for food. 

Debeaking is necessary when you are keeping a lot of birds in a small space where you are trying to prevent them from pecking each other to death.
I am raising chicks. I definitely do NOT want to de-beak them. It seems cruel

What is usually meant by "beak trimmed" is that they've nipped off the end of the beak to help prevent pecking.  This is done in commercial flocks that are kept in cramped, stressful conditions.  It should not be necessary at all in a back yard kept flock. 

Small chicks do not need to be dewormed.  However, many people DO keep their mature birds on a regular deworming schedule, such as twice a year.  Depends on the climate where you live as to the parasite load in the environment.  To wait until you see obvious signs of a parasite infestation such as loss of weight and poor feather condition is putting your birds health at serious risk.  By that time they have a heavy load of parasites and a lot of internal damage.  Far better to stay on top of the situation before that happens.  Chickens live on the ground, they are going to get worms, not if, but when.  I deworm mine for the first time at about 6 months old and twice a year after that.

I can only assume that "floor raised" means they were raised on wire rather then simply on bedding or on the ground.  Some people raise chicks on wire to try to avoid coccidiosis. 
How do you deworm chickens? I would like to keep my girls as healthy as possible all the time. I certainly don't want to wait for signs of parasites

I read on here somewhere that pumpkin is a natural de-wormer? Not sure if it's true or not
hmm.png
. But they might like it, I'm a newbie like you

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom