11 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
What would you do with this guy?
DSCN0058.JPG
DSCN0059.JPG

This is kind of blurry, but it shows his beak with his mouth closed:
DSCN0060.JPG

I have no experience with beak trimming, don't know if there is a quick or not. I don't know how likely the beak is to shatter or if it will cut cleanly. If you decide to do that I can't help you.

He does not meet my goals so he would go to the freezer. I don't know your goals with him. I certainly would not let him breed just in case that is hereditary.

What is his quality of life? Is it getting worse or has it stabilized? Can he eat OK? If he mates can he do that without endangering the hen (head grab)?

When making these decisions my hierarchy is first how does it suit my goals. Then I try to decide what is best for the flock overall, not any one individual. Next would be their quality of life. Those are your decisions.

I have no experience with beak trimming, don't know if there is a quick or not.
They do have a quick, so one most not trim off to much.

I don't know how likely the beak is to shatter or if it will cut cleanly.
They cut cleanly if you use a sharp cutter.

He does not meet my goals so he would go to the freezer. I don't know your goals with him. I certainly would not let him breed just in case that is hereditary.
He's one that someone tossed over the fence. I was going to sell him like I do most of the roosters, but he's a real gentleman and looks after his ladies. He is breeding them, but I pick up eggs, so I'm not worried about him passing on any bad genes.

What is his quality of life? Is it getting worse or has it stabilized? Can he eat OK? If he mates can he do that without endangering the hen (head grab)?
Quality of life is quite good with a trim here and there. It's no worse, no better, it just grows funny, and with it trimmed he eats just fine. Of course the hens are fine too.

When making these decisions my hierarchy is first how does it suit my goals. Then I try to decide what is best for the flock overall, not any one individual. Next would be their quality of life. Those are your decisions.
Good points.

I have Susan who has a crooked beak. It does restrict her a little but she is eating okay. I know that many would despatch her but she is a gentle soul and so beautiful in her own way ... not necessarily a way anyone else would notice but me.
Definitely what we would call a Friday afternoon hen, crooked beak, cross eyed, flat feet (walks like she’s wearing wellies too big for her) oh and hairy feet.
I named her after my aunt but don’t tell her :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom