Beak trimming?

LTygress

Songster
7 Years
Sep 12, 2012
This was one of those "which forum topic to post under?" Threads. So I'll start here.

I have two chicks - one Porcelain D'uccle, and one Sumatra - who seem to have very HORRIBLE aim with their beaks. If I hold a mealworm, they peck my hand dozens of times before they ever even touch it. Both of them aim too "low" for it, meaning they hit the dirt (or my hand) that is actually BETWEEN them and the mealworm.

But I have also noticed these two chicks have a VERY sharp down-curve at the tip of the top beak. The sumatras beak is all solid black. But the Porcelain's beak is mostly dark EXCEPT this sharp-curved part, where it is lighter and transclucent.

First, I am wondering if it is safe to cut off this end part from their beaks. I know it wouldn't cause bleeding with where the cut would be made, but I'm worried about them having proper bite. I was planning to use fingernail clippers to remove it, and then a file to reshape the beak to a soft point again.

I recall parrots often have beaks that do this and need trimming now and then. And that brings me to my next question.

For those chickens who have this issue, do they need their beaks trimmed regularly? Does it grow back into this bad shape consistently?

If I trim their beaks, it would actually correct their "aim" with food and treats. After looking closely, that last little piece that curves down so sharply is right in the way of the food when the chick strikes out for it. They do just fine eating, but I am guessing it is because there is a piece of food right below the one they are aiming for anyway, so they peck at one but grab another. So I probably only noticed it with mealworms because incorrect aim hits my hand, or dirt.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Last edited:
I have a bird with a slight cross beak and I trim her beak once a month with toe nail clippers. Its perfectly fine to do.as for fixing the aim of the chicken you can try it but I'm not sure it would fix the issue. Sounds more like a debt perception issue. But it surely wound not hurt to try and see what happens. Best wishes hope this helps!

I ended up trying it last night anyway, since I hadn't received a response by the time I logged off for the night. And it sure did fix the "aim" issue. As soon as that little piece was cut off and out of the way, he was striking mealworms dead-on! He also pecked at a few moles and dirt spots on my skin, and hit those dead-on as well!

I figured it might be the issue since he did seem to HIT the mealworm, crickets, etc., he just never successfully GRABBED it. Now I realize that he wasn't opening his mouth wide enough to get the top beak completely out of the way - when his beak was open, that little extra piece at the end still kept it from ACTUALLY being open.

Back
Top Bottom