Beak Trimming?

truckerswife

Songster
12 Years
Aug 20, 2007
SW Washington
My polish girl still sick. I am hand feeding every few hours meal worms, melon and electrolytes in her water. Only thing she seems to like. She is thin and I dont see her eating feed. Observing her these days I have noticed she has a hard time grabbing onto food. Her beak has an overgrown tip? I dont know since I have never had a Polish before. Pix online I couldnt get a close up of beak. I am wondering if maybe that is why she loves melon , she can stab it and eat it.

I thought about filing down the tip of her beak...but want opinions first as I have no clue and I do not want to make things worse for my sweetie. Thanks.

Last edited:
If her beak is badly overgrown it could interfere with her eating. Take a pair of nail clippers and trim the beak. If she eats better afterwards you'll know that was the problem.

I agree, a badly overgrown beak will cause problems eating. Trim the beak, just the over growth, and you will be fine with that part. You can also provide its food in a deep dish, as this will help it eat better as well. You will have to keep an eye on this bird, as the beak will grow back eventually too.

Back
Top Bottom