Beak Wiping Behavior

Truefire

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
North Carolina
This topic may have been discussed before perhaps. I find it rather intriguing and funny that chickens wipe their beak. As cute it may be to us humans, I am certain this is some underlying instinctive survivability measure that cause chickens to do this. Anyone have any ideas as to the 'whys'

Thanks, Chris

I go with plotting against mankind. We are so arrogant to believe we are the smartest species. REALLY!?!?! We work our butts off every day to give our animals the best! Who is really the smartest in this equation? (Of course they are so darn cute we have no choice in the matter.)
jumpy.gif

I always assumed it was part of their hygiene routine. Mine like to wipe their beaks on my trousers - then eat anything yummy which came off. I find it rather endearing, but of course, they are simply using nice soft material which is immediately to hand!

It is neat. Even more intriguing is the fact that they can actually even feel small pieces of food on their beak in the first place. It seems to me that it might be similar to having some small piece of remnant found on my fingernail. Fiingernails and chicken beaks both being comprised of Keratin do not allow for the sensing. I guess they might be seeing the food there with their excellent eyesight perhaps.

At any rate, its a neat thing to watch, they love to wipe their beaks continually on our wooden deck. Its funny..
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom