Beaks and Spurs???

smk2010

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 25, 2010
Does anyone know if there is a humane way to file down or trim a roosters beak and spurs? My rooster 'Whitey' seems to be getting a little too aggressive with the girls lately and is starting to tear some of them up while doing his roosterly deed. While mounting, he grabs a hold of the feathers behind the chickens head to balance himself. Because of his long sharp beak, he is tearing out a lot of feathers and often drawing blood. He is a very friendly rooster for the most part and I hate the thought of getting rid him and his possibly becoming rooster noodle soup. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was thinking about catching him up one night, blind folding him, and either filing down his beak and spurs (just enough to remove the sharp points) with a small wood or metal rasp/file, or trying to use my large dog nail trimmers. Would this be too cruel and stressful for him? I need to do something soon. I hate keeping him locked away by himself all the time but I hate the thought of him accidentally killing one of the girls or being eaten more!! I would happily re"home" him but roosters are a dime a dozen around here and most of them end up in the crock-pot or in chicken soup
sad.png

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated and considered!!!!

Thanks in Advance!!!

Thank you! - Is the Blu-kote stain a permanent stain or does it eventually wear off? I assume I can find the Blu-kote at most farm stores? I will give it a try and see what happens. It will be wonderful if it works and I can keep my rooster
smile.png
. Thanks Again!

Don't use the dog clippers! They can fracture his beak & spurs, causing immense pain. I would try filing, but you may have to consider getting on the of the chicken saddles that are available. They are put on the hens to protect them from the roosters. The BluKote will help with infection & reduce secondary-pecking, but the rooster is grabbing the neck feathers for balance, most likely, so BluKote is not going to be a permanent fix. You can usually find BluKote in the antibiotic section of farm stores. Good luck
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom