beaks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by twadwis, Aug 3, 2014.

1. twadwis

twadwis New Egg

Jul 7, 2014
    I inherited a couple of old hens from my neighbor. Both have their beaks cut back and poorly done at that !!
    One's is too short and is like a short duck bill in that it is rounded which makes it hard for her to peck. The other is even worse because the bottom is not cut and sticks out way beyond the top so she too has trouble eating.
    I can't do anything about the short round one but can I cut (carefully) the long lower one back ?

2. bobthebunny

bobthebunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2014
    I would VERY carefully try but if you get nervous take her to the vet. I want to be the first to say [​IMG]

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    *I* would just leave them be. Their beaks have already been subjected to the brutality of being cut, they probably shouldn't be cut more.

Most folks with de-beaked chickens feed them from a deep dish instead or the normal shallow feeders. I guess the idea is they can more scoop instead of peck.

Good luck, and again :welcome !

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I have a rooster who broke his top beak off twice. It now no longer grows. I watch him and only trim the lower if he seems to have trouble eating. I hate doing it...it usually bleeds. I try to keep his food deep in the bowl so he can grab it easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by