Beans and pasta, oh my!

I just think that it might be better to state what he would have to add to make it more balanced than come down so hard. I’m quite sure he feeds greens and other stuff too, he included oyster shell, but thanks for all your views,

Do you know what, I think a lot of what we are told is utter nonsense, propagated by big agricultural businesses who want to sell us expensive feed. We never had chicken feed to buy in the fifties when I was a kid and all our chickens were fine on the scraps and garden peelings we have them and laid copious eggs. People have kept chickens for thousand of years without proprietary chicken feed, it’s not rocket science. We all obviously have far too much money and want to give our power to big business. Think for yourselves people. Stop buying the hard sell and try out things for yourselves,

Do you know what, I think a lot of what we are told is utter nonsense, propagated by big agricultural businesses who want to sell us expensive feed. We never had chicken feed to buy in the fifties when I was a kid and all our chickens were fine on the scraps and garden peelings we have them and laid copious eggs. People have kept chickens for thousand of years without proprietary chicken feed, it’s not rocket science. We all obviously have far too much money and want to give our power to big business. Think for yourselves people. Stop buying the hard sell and try out things for yourselves,
you might find this thread interesting and more to your taste
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-research-debunks-trad-views-on-nutrition.1567953/unread

Long story short for us . . . I have continued to buy feed. To be completely honest, I did two batches of said receipt. I'm lazy. Easier to go to my local feed store, THEY carry bag to the auto, when I get home hubby SOMETIMES (HA HA HA) takes it out of the cah!

Perhaps I will revisit later on down the line. But wait, I just read what @Realme66 wrote above. That is EXACTLY how my husband thinks. I ain't knockin' it either.

There is no balance in their diet, way too much starch and simple sugars, and chickens don't get full and stop eating. They run on forage, and eat throughout the day. Also, it is never okay to let possums and raccoons pick through your bird's feed! That's a huge biosecurity risk, and if raccoons can reach in, mice can get in too! There is a lot of misinformation there.
The names of your babies (your siggie line) are way too cute! Love it!

which peopke never used to buy for their chickens,
Those chickens almost always were on farms with other animals, which meant they had access to grains that, while not specifically meant for.them, were meant for other animals.

They also weren't the egg laying machines that they are today, which requires them to have the nutrition that bags of feed are meticulously researched to provide

They also weren't the egg laying machines that they are today,
100 eggs/year was considered very good for some breeds back then. No one would be buying breeds that laid that number of eggs today, except for another purpose, say, for meat.

One thing about chickens... since they are so floofy with all those feathers, unless you're looking/feeling for it, you can't tell if they're healthy. They instinctively hide signs of illness from the rest of the flock.

I saw this video

And now I am intrigued. Certainly seems as though it can't hurt.
Beans and any other grain together make a complete protein. Pasta is made from wheat, a grain. All the better if you use whole grain pasta, or cooked whole grain or cracked wheat kernels, corn, any grain. Be sure to provide calcium in the form of crushed shell, even egg shells cleaned and crushed. Give them kitchen scraps too for variety. Best to you!

We all obviously have far too much money and want to give our power to big business.

🤔

I guarantee you that feeding pasta, beans and oyster shell is going to cost way more than feeding layer feed. What difference does it make if you are spending your money at the feed store or the grocery store? It most likely goes to the same big conglomerate in the end anyway, LOL.

Sure chickens can survive on just beans and pasta, or whatever scraps you feel like throwing to them, and for quite awhile probably before the deficiencies eventually start killing them off. Question is do you want your chickens to barely survive or to thrive?

Back
Top Bottom