beans for geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Rose Mary, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Rose Mary

Rose Mary New Egg

Apr 25, 2012
    We have a domestic goose. Rosemary is almost one year old. I do not know her breed, but she is your basic Mother Goose looking bird. We also have chickens. We feed them the pulp from our juicing veg and fruit, nine grain oatmeal (uncooked), a variety of wheat and barley (cooked), organic nine grain breads and lettuce/spinach varieties. All of our birdies are laying. Their egg shells are really thick and they are all healthy looking and acting. We tried feeding them the bird food from our local farm supply (to save money), but they won't touch it. So we spend the money and time cooking for them. It is worth it. I am now also cooking for the dog. The birds and the dog pretty much eat the same things with few exceptions. I want to make sure all of our kids are getting the nutrition that they need, but would like to keep the bulk of my food prep the same for all. The dog and chickens can consume (carefully) cooked and prepared beans, but is it ok to feed this to the goose?
    Thank you in advance for your replies.
    Kari

2. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    I do not know the answer, but Dave Holderread breaks down nutrition needs and homemade recipes in his Book of Geese. I think you would find it good reading.

3. Rose Mary

Rose Mary New Egg

Apr 25, 2012
    Thank you I will look into getting a copy while I wait for other replies.

4. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    I've read that people give them peas, so I would assume beans are OK

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I looked in my "Book of Geese" and there was no mention of beans, I do use dried split peas in my fermented feed that i make. But still not sure if beans would be a good idea.

6. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    I thought I read somewhere on the forum that beans can cause digestive issues. I can't remember the thread though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by