Bear back chickens how does this ....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Buttercup101, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Buttercup101

Buttercup101 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2013
    How would it kill a chicken if they had bear backs? because i was watching a vidio and she said

Quote: so i was just wondering. and are chickens have a bad bad bad bad case of bear back. so i am kind of worried.

2. Buttercup101

Sep 16, 2013
    any one?i really need help!

3. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure I understand the question. Are you saying that someone said that if a chicken had a bare back it would die?

If this were ther case, then chickens would die after one year...Each year chickens molt and lose their feathers, and grow them back. Some do it quickly, some take longer, some go bare backed for months at a time. I currently have 3 in my flock that are getting suntans on the backs due to having no feathers on their backs for so long.

There are lots of nice well meaning folks out there who repeat things they have heard, and tout them as being fact. Sometimes a case of "Reader beware". Just because they have lots of posts doesn't mean that they know what they are talking about. Also, there are many different methods and philosophies to raising chickens.

4. Buttercup101

Sep 16, 2013
    Okay, thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by