Bear Problems Part 2 with Pictures

Firemandivi

In the Brooder
May 22, 2023
So I have had some bear problems as I previously noted and did what I could to stop the bear from getting to my chickens. Last night during dinner I saw the bear come out of the weeds. I took a few steps to go get my shotgun and then saw a very small cub, then another very small cub. Well I couldn't kill her after seeing that, I thought about getting the paintball gun or pellet gun to scare her away. But she walked around the chickens and thankfully she smelt the fence and got a shock right on the nose. She took off running and hopefully won't be back. Here are some pictures I took from our dinning room.

20230524_195550.jpg
20230524_195605.jpg
20230524_195612.jpg

I had a customer call me yesterday that was down visiting family. He lives on Kodiak Island and deals with huge bears. He says they can sense if the electric wire is off so there seems to be no educating a bear, just constant vigilance and keeping the power on at all times.

How lucky we are in the lower states not to have to worry about our position on the food chain.

She took off running and hopefully won't be back. Here are some pictures I took from our dinning room.
What a nice example of proving that humans can coexist with apex predators. :) Hopefully, mom teaches the cubs to avoid electric fencing in the future, and you'll have some local bears that know that chickens mean a zap to the snoot. :)

Back
Top Bottom