bear

We used to have a friendly neighborhood bear. He wouldn't touch the chickens, but he'd knock over our feed bins an eat all the chicken feed. Build your coop very strong, keep feed away from the coop, take feed out of the coop every night, and be sure to collect eggs every day before night.

The lesson that I, and many of us, have learned is not to keep food in the coop. I used to store it in a big metal trash can in with my birds. The bear that visited was far more interested in the chicken food than the chickens. Bears like easy meals. Chickens may or may not be easy, but chicken food is easier. Unfortunately when he went in the coop for the food, the girls freaked out and he smacked them, which is kinda fatal for a chicken.
big_smile.png

So, now I keep the supply locked up in my bunker of a shed and bring the feeders in every night. He/she's still around (leaves me presents), but hasn't been interested in the girls anymore.

Or

shoot him. Our game warden said he'd give a kill permit, but it wasn't necessary if the bear is after livestock. Of course you're local/state laws maybe different from those here. But. . . if you're going to go that route, might I suggest you have someone who knows what he/she is doing, do the deed. An injured bear is an unhappy bear. An unhappy bear means a lot of broken stuff. . . coops, fences, chickens, people. . .

Signed,
Your hippy dippy bear guy

Back
Top Bottom