1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. toconnor318

toconnor318 New Egg

Jan 14, 2016
    Hampden, MA
    I recently had three hens killed as the coop was left open one night and once something went through the screen of the sash window. Last night I had two bears rip open the run and torn off the wire covering the window. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Looks like it's time to check out some high voltage electrical fencing.

3. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Your state may have an Electric Fence Incentive program where you can get reimbursed for part of your cost. I am having electric fence put up as bears are waking up now!In fact, the fish wildlife and parks bear expert is due at my house in the next hour to advise. See if your local Fish Wildlife and PArks folks can help...

here is my recent thread on this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...sed-rocky-mountain-states-i-am-talking-to-you

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  4. toconnor318

toconnor318 New Egg

Jan 14, 2016
    Hampden, MA
    Believe it or not, I contacted my local environmental police department and they told me contact my local police department or animal control. Oh and I reside in Massachusetts!

5. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

I know you are in MASS, but there may still be an incentive program...I just don't know about it...While I have had help in the past from Animal Control, which is part of Sheriff's Dept., check with your county/state programs for something similar to Fish, Wildlife and Parks that we have here in Montana...this work is what this type of agency does...and they also remove and rehome bears as necessary so this kind of behavior should really be reported to them...sorry you did not get more help or referral to the right agency...

6. Aust1227

Aust1227 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
  7. PouleChick

PouleChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    Wow I can't even begin to imagine living with such a huge predator running around! I've read about them / seen them on TV but to see them attacking your coop like that is so scary!

8. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I bet the chickens were petrified. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Can you imagine waking up and seeing that looking in at you in your bedroom window?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by