Beat up hen - bleeding vent - feathers missing

No mounting. Just molted in the fall, so I don't think she'd be doing it again.

How is your girl today? I'm kinda stumped on the feather loss on her back with no roo...maybe they cornered her and she put her butt down and they went into a feather picking frenzy on her back? Idk, I would expect to see peck wounds, rawness or even blood if that was the case. I'm still thinking bugs really or, a double molt or, a stress molt if she is being deprived of food by others or was having some issue that was very uncomfortable that led to the prolapse. (crop or egg laying problems). She may have internal parasites that are draining her of nutrients so that after her molt her feathers didn't grow in right. I'm trying to think of any thing I can to help. Guess I'll go do some research....

I found this, it's worth considering, can you observe your flock for several hours including into roost time? http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/chicken-feather-loss.aspx
Here's another good article http://www.yourchickens.co.uk/care-and-advice/lowdown_on_feather_loss_1_3746383
To summarize, any sudden change to environment or lighting, super aggressive hens, lack of proper nutrition, (especially protein) causing illness, space issues and parasites should all be under consideration as causes of feather loss.
smile.png

Last edited:
I really appreciate your help. Unfortunatly this morning when I went to check on her things had gotten worse. Her prolapse was huge and she was bleeding a lot. She was even pecking at it herself...

I know sometimes chickens make miraculous recoveries.. But I didn't see how I could help this one... So we put her out of misery.

In my mind I think I did the right thing. My heart is doing it's damnest to convince me otherwise ...

I didn't see any bugs, but today we went and bought some DE and mixed a bit in with their bedding/nesting anyway just in case. I also am building them a 'proper' dust bath (right now they just ruin whatever part of the garden is most inconvenient for us humans...) with some sand/DE/wood ash/etc..

Edit: Gave the other girls a thorough check for missing feathers or any other abnormalities this afternoon as well. They seem healthy.. I'm not sure I'll ever understand exactly what happened this time.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you lost her
sad.png
Sometimes chicken deaths remain a mystery unless we get a necropsy done. Your intentions with the DE are good but, may I suggest sevin dust? (poultry dust. If you do your research, you will find over and over that DE is not effective and the silica in it is detrimental to their (and human) lungs. You can put the sevin dust in their dust bath and sprinkle it around the coop. Your best on line researches will come from agricultural, university, other well respected chicken forums, and .org sites. Ignore the DE sales pitches, miracle cure for multiple maladies claims and homesteaders' sites.
smile.png

I can't argue the effectiveness of DE vs. Sevin since I honestly have no idea (just going on recommendations I've read here.)

However, my research finds that Sevin has as much, or more, Crystalline Silica (the bad form) than DE does.
The majority of DE is Amorphous Silica, and while I wouldn't recommend breathing it on a regular basis, it's far less worrisome than the Crystalline form.

I suspect that in the amounts our chickens might inhale the effects wouldn't be noticeable, except in extreme cases.

I can't argue the effectiveness of DE vs. Sevin since I honestly have no idea (just going on recommendations I've read here.)

However, my research finds that Sevin has as much, or more, Crystalline Silica (the bad form) than DE does.
The majority of DE is Amorphous Silica, and while I wouldn't recommend breathing it on a regular basis, it's far less worrisome than the Crystalline form.

I suspect that in the amounts our chickens might inhale the effects wouldn't be noticeable, except in extreme cases.

There is no "bad form" of DE in sevin dust. Sevin dust contains 5% carbaryl and 95% amorphous silica. Scroll down to "ingredients" in this link:
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=19022002
I wouldnt recommend breathing in any types of dusts, always wear a mask....chickens too
gig.gif

Last edited:
Sevin:

Chemical CAS No / Unique ID Percent
Carbaryl 000063-25-2 5
Kaolin clay
001332-58-7 <95
Silica, amorphous (Diatomaceous silica)
007631-86-9 <95

That last line is DE.

Unless you're talking lab-grade amorphous, then all silica is tainted with the crystalline form. It's low enough level that it's not really a health concern unless your're going to be breathing large amounts on a regular basis.

My point was that if you call DE bad for you, then Sevin would have to be put on that same list. I'm personally not worried about either of them.

Last edited:
Is there anyway some predator could have gotten to her? I have seen that kind of thing when something got at one of my girls and chewed at her behind. I highly recommend getting Vetrycin and spraying the bee gee zuss out of it. Holds off infections and speeds up healing process remarkably. Get the thicker one, it sticks on the wound. I usually spray the thinner one on and let it dry, then apply the thick one. I hope she is doing better. I see this post is a couple of days old.
Take care and I hope you will keep us all posted.

Sevin:

Chemical CAS No / Unique ID Percent
Carbaryl 000063-25-2 5
Kaolin clay
001332-58-7 <95
Silica, amorphous (Diatomaceous silica)
007631-86-9 <95

That last line is DE.

Unless you're talking lab-grade amorphous, then all silica is tainted with the crystalline form. It's low enough level that it's not really a health concern unless your're going to be breathing large amounts on a regular basis.

My point was that if you call DE bad for you, then Sevin would have to be put on that same list. I'm personally not worried about either of them.

The difference is this: If you use DE, you will be using it continually and fighting a losing battle since as soon as it is wet, it is ineffective. Feeding DE for parasites does not work. For external parasites, again, constant use of DE, lucky if you can keep bugs under control, let alone kill them. With Sevin, it's two treatments and you're done! Dead bugs on the spot=happy healthy chickens!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom