Beating Louisiana's heat. Got questions and need tips!

I may end up having to but I am very reluctant to use insecticides in my yard. It will probably be tough but I'd like to find natural ways to deter them. I can make my own repellant from carrier and essential oils but I have to apply them directly to each chicken which is C-RAZY but I've done it. Of course it has to be reapplied as it wears off. If I could just keep them out of their coop and run then I would be satisfied. I just want them to have a place to get out of it.

Shade, frequent water change or ice in water, well ventilated coop. No windows on south side helps or if they open out as not to cause solar radiation heat. We're up North but can get a week or two of high heat and humidity. During that time I use electrolytes in the water. Those vitamin with electrolyte packets you see for chicks, Sav a Chic is one, also come in a large package that last forever for me but would be cost effective down South. It's 0.5 teaspoons per gallon of water so an 8 oz package goes a long way.

I grew up in Mississippi about 30 miles north of the Gulf. We did nothing for the chickens in the summer and they did fine.
Just provide them with shade, water, and mabe some ventilation. You should be fine.

They forage in my yard a few hours each day-I'm a literal backyard chicken-er (hehe)
I grew up in Mississippi about 30 miles north of the Gulf. We did nothing for the chickens in the summer and they did fine.
Just provide them with shade, water, and mabe some ventilation. You should be fine.

Haha- that's easy enough.

Shade, frequent water change or ice in water, well ventilated coop. No windows on south side helps or if they open out as not to cause solar radiation heat. We're up North but can get a week or two of high heat and humidity. During that time I use electrolytes in the water. Those vitamin with electrolyte packets you see for chicks, Sav a Chic is one, also come in a large package that last forever for me but would be cost effective down South. It's 0.5 teaspoons per gallon of water so an 8 oz package goes a long way.

Thank you. I do use electrolytes. I'll keep that up and no windows south facing. I can do that!

When talking about chronic high temperature and humidity issues like afforded by LA, wise breed selection needs to be invoked.

I've researched ALOT and I'll admit I have a few breeds that aren't particularly heat hardy as far as the lists of "heat hardy birds" I found online but I reached out and inquired about different people's experiences with the breeds here and was able to find that they did ok. And my birds were purchased mostly from local breeders so maybe they are more "heat tolerant" strains of the breed??? Anyway- as I particularly wanted big fluffy calm breeds bc I can't have them being flighty and getting out of my yard- so that's exactly why I'm trying to go the extra mile to ensure their comfort. And for clarity's sake my birds are:
1-frizzle Cochin bantam
1-reg feathered Cochin bantam
1-light brahma
1-salmon faverolle
2-lavender Ameraucana
2-EE
1-splash OE
1-FBCM

what part of la are u in I live in Kenner and I just got my first flock myself as for the natural bug repellents plant some mint around the coop its said to repel bugs and rodents I have been researching herbs for chickens and rosemary, lavender, lemon balm and catnip to name a few others and they can eat them to aid in the health too here is one link you can check out

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2013/05/herbs-and-their-uses-for-your-chickens.html

what part of la are u in I live in Kenner and I just got my first flock myself as for the natural bug repellents plant some mint around the coop its said to repel bugs and rodents I have been researching herbs for chickens and rosemary, lavender, lemon balm and catnip to name a few others and they can eat them to aid in the health too here is one link you can check out

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2013/05/herbs-and-their-uses-for-your-chickens.html
I've got to do this!! I'm in Vidalia. I'm all about using non chemical methods! have you had any personal success with any particular plants, oils or herb mixes?

I have been keeping chickens for a couple of years and I have done nothing special except that I designed my large coop with plenty of passive airflow and the coop is partially shaded in the late afternoon hours, but full sun most of the day. My watering system is a five gallon bucket mounted outside the coop on the west side which stays shaded, and feeds pvc pipe with nipples inside the coop. Until this year I only had about a half dozen chickens. Using the deep litter method in my coop, I have not had issues with excessive flies. But now I have added 15 more pullets and the fly problem may be worse this year, we will see.

Back
Top Bottom