Beating Louisiana's heat. Got questions and need tips!

I have been keeping chickens for a couple of years and I have done nothing special except that I designed my large coop with plenty of passive airflow and the coop is partially shaded in the late afternoon hours, but full sun most of the day. My watering system is a five gallon bucket mounted outside the coop on the west side which stays shaded, and feeds pvc pipe with nipples inside the coop. Until this year I only had about a half dozen chickens. Using the deep litter method in my coop, I have not had issues with excessive flies. But now I have added 15 more pullets and the fly problem may be worse this year, we will see.

Hi!!! I know this conversation is old but I'd started my deep litter in my run floor and realized I've got a question. It may be a dumb question but here goes: will the deep litter method work in a fully roofed run?

Side note: I bought some coop-n-compost to add to it to jump start but it just came in and I haven't worked it in yet. I've been turning the pine straw regularly as well.

Back
Top Bottom