beatles, worms in feed ?

zekii

Songster
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
New Hampsha
Just opened a bag of Purina Flock raiser, and there are worms. beatles and web clumps in the feed, I know in the
warm weather this happens with grains. Is this feed still ok to feed to the chickens ?

Clint

I would also return it, most if not all mill run feed has some weevil eggs in it and often if it sits on the shelf for a long time they hatch and lay eggs and hatch and....

The clumps are fungus or mold likely forming in wet spots and the feed is bad...

When you store your feed a little food grade DE will help keep the weevils from getting a foothold and breeding.

Last edited:
I would not feed it. Mold is deadly to chickens. From the sound of it, the feed sat a long time and got damp as well. And the bugs? I don't want them getting into anything else around here!

Actually I think the web clumps are from the catepillars ... I know now not too keep to many bags of feed ahead in this hot weather ... I had this problem once with dog food, and thought I learned my lesson
sad.png

I added some DE to the feed ... thanks for the replies

Quote:

Wet, clumpy, weevily feed in a bag you just brought home should be taken straight back to the feed store. It's spoiled and I would not feed it to my birds.

If the feed is dry, NOT clumpy, and has only a few weevils and I know I'll use it up fast I'll sometimes go ahead and use it. But not feed that has gotten wet and is clumped up. It's bad for molding, especially in summer heat, and moldy feed is bad news for any animal especially birds.

Back
Top Bottom