Beaverton, OR forcing me to give up my birds :(

OK. In no way do I know anything about the town, and I certainly am not a lawyer, BUT....

My first action after receiving the letter and being threatened with a citation would be to file civil suit against the town. That puts them on the defensive, and makes them go to court before you get a citation. You should be able to file it yourself, without needing an attorney.

IF, (and I have not read the code as it is written) livestock and poultry are allowed as pets, then they have no choice but to allow you to have them, whether they live inside your house or not.

That would be like saying, "You can have a dog, but he can't stay in a doghouse in your yard."

Here, in Pennsylvania, the law defines livestock and poultry as "personal property" not as pets... Really gets people who rent because they may not be allowed by their lease to have pets, but they can keep chickens without violating a no pets clause of a lease...

LOL, way to go PA!

Hope it helps.

I am a firm believer in the power of publicity -- positive AND negative.

Talk to your local newspaper, TV station, and radio station. Be prepared to demonstrate with pictures and impassioned rhetoric why your pets are just as precious and valuable to you as those with fur, and that they are kept in happy, healthy, and non-intrusive surroundings.

Start a campaign on Facebook. (It worked to get Betty White to host SNL.)
lol.png

Write to Martha Stewart and any other celebrity you can find who keep chickens and get their support.

Be as creative as you can be, and your campaign may start the groundswell to change this stupid ordinance in your city. Best of luck!
wink.png

Our city by law states all animals must be housed in the dwelling. Our chickens are on our front porch so they are in our dwelling;). Of course they go outside first thing in the morning and stay out until dusk but we have no house. We have a rabbit hutch in theer too as the by law guy made us move them inside. We now have dedicated our whole front covered porch to animals, it won't ruin anything as eventually it will need to be replaced in 5 or so years.

You could contact code enforcement and notify them that unless they intend to fine every KFC and household that buys chicken at the grocery store (code says nothing about live or dead) that you should be able to "keep" your pets.
big_smile.png

smile.png
NEWBE As stated by "8 WISHbones" And I agree with her . check with your (OLD) State Statutes ? Where you ask ? In the Librairy . Many times they take precidence over newer city ordinances , but they get forgotten !!! I'm in Calf , Old Ca. LAW still on the books makes Chickens Legal , As does federal Law , Except a noisy Rooster . Pity the poor Rooster !!! Question Don't you have a garage to house these birds in at least temperary ? !!! ........... , ALANB . P/s , Write an Editorial in the newspaper , I've done this !!! sometimes you will get so many readers replys in your defence , It gets the City off your back !!! It's all about Politics ................. '

Back
Top Bottom