Because I care about my BYC family....

Anyone here store water for their garden? I know they have nylon "tanks" for water storage and I suppose you could hook up your sump pump to a tank or storage system of some kind. I'm seeing all kinds of "rain" barrels at Home Depot. What's that all about?

We had someone on CL selling plastic 50 gal drums for $10 each. You could store alot of water for your garden in one of those.

I have a system that saves water and I've showed it more than a few times on here. As you can see in the center of the pic. There is a can around the base of my pepper plant. I use this method around my tomatos and basil and anything it will work for. I just take the hose or can of water and fill the can and the water stays on the plant and not all over the ground. You can save the cans year to year. Watering this way save water and time. If you use horse manure "tea" it keeps the fertilizer near the plant. Of course I'm a big advocate of raised beds too.

The milk jugs make great mini green houses to help get an early start in the spring. I hold them in place with wooden shims.

23908_lavs_del_and_garden_033.jpg

Quote:
I thought about creating a border out of the Firethorns...
wink.png

lol.png

Hubby wants to get an old style hand well pump - so if gas isn't an option for the generator, we can still get water.

I just talked DH into fixing our well up, just in case.
smile.png

Quote:
This is us.
lol.png
Although, we still do prepare for the worst by taking small steps. I'd like to start taking larger steps and this is the thread that was the catalyst.

Rancher, my plants got a good start this spring (it was unusually cold until late May) using cut up 2 liter soda bottles. Wash them out really well, remove labeling and cap, and they make a great greenhouse effect. I imagine the milk jugs are great too.

A.T. Hagan :

BE PREPARED TO BE WRONG.

This applies equally as much to the folks who are preparing and those who are not.

For that very tiny number of folks who prep to the n-th degree I caution you not to prep so much that the failure of the disaster you are preparing for to occur becomes a disaster in itself.

For those of who just giggle or dismiss the entire idea of ever needing to prepare for any emergency that might inconvenience you for more than three days (a la the usual FEMA recommendations) what if you are wrong? What sort of position will you find yourselves in then? Hat in hand waiting in line for hours for the government handout such as we see in every disaster? A miserable, uncomfortable way to spend your time.

Natural disaster or manmade, economic or literal, complacency kills.

Be prepared to be wrong and you will very seldom ever seriously go wrong.

Very well said A.T. !​

Watched a show last night about Preppers. (Emergency preparedness gurus!)

Unreal... I guess I am NOT prepared. I need to convert more cash to gold, silver and commodities.

But I'll work at it and pray I'm not too slow.

I love prepping. It just can't hurt. Even if the zombies don't come or the government doesn't fall, you never know when the next natural disaster can come along and catch you unaware. Even more so now that I live down south where natural disasters actually happen. We've already had 2 tornado scares since I've been here.

Quote:
What channel was the show on, Mahonri??

TLC...The Learning Channel... very informative.

Should be interesting to see what happens with the stock market this week.

Back
Top Bottom