Becoming a licensed poultry farm in NC?

AhyokaAcres

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
North Carolina
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what types of licenses I need in NC for my soon-to-be small operation.

I have about 20 pullets, and 2 roos, and I am wanting to eventually sell the eggs at farmer's markets as well as chicks and hatching eggs.
What exactly do I need to be legal for each of these things? I emailed the NC Dept. of Ag., but was just looking for some personal experiences.
Also, would it be good to get a business license so my name is trademarked as well?

I just want to make sure I do it right the first time! Thanks so much!

I'm in much the same situation in South Carolina. Right now I am just collecting the eggs and selling to friends, but I want to expand to more. I'm still trying to figure out what steps to take and how and when to take them.

Several of my friends are encouraging me to turn it into a real business, but I'm a bit nervous to take that final step because I'm not sure what to expect. I keep having doubts as to whether my facility is good enough. My chickens have to all be contained because of predators. I lost over half of my original flock in a single day and I can't have that happen again. I am, however, building three more coops currently so that I can spread them out a bit more so that they'll all have more than enough room. I know what the "minimum space requirements" for chickens are and I don't think it's right.

I don't want to take any steps where they'll be inspected until I'm positive of what will happen during that inspection.

I'm really bad at erring on the side of caution. I will probably contact the NPIP folks myself after the newest coops are built.

Back
Top Bottom