Becoming self sufficient

Quote:
Ah. don't recall the post, but if it's any help to you, I use cow's milk - because I have cows. I have a friend who raises dairy goats, and she uses goats' milk - but only makes mozzarella & feta.

Did your friend say why they only make those two kinds? I was thinking we might get goats to help with the mowing, and might as well get milk goats. I don't think we have enough acreage for a cow, and a cow might cost too much to maintain. We also do not drink much milk. I have an allergy to it, so can't have too much.

Quote:
Of course, lol - we discuss cheese quite a bit ;) She only makes those two types primarily because of time & equipment investment and her tastes. Mozzerella is very 'hands on' for an hour or so - the rest of the time it's just sitting there, and all you have to do is check the temp every so often; it stores well & can be frozen fresh. Feta, likewise, keeps a long time and can be frozen without notable loss of quality. Neither of them require much (or anything) in the way of molds or presses, so equipment needs are minimal. She's a type1 diabetic, so the excessive fat content of things like cream cheese doesn't fit into her eating plans, and she's a widow, so the storage time of things like cottage or pot cheese aren't long enough for her to use up a batch before it spoils. She runs 14 nannies, and most of her excess milk is actually either used in soap or fed to her chickens... chickens love, and do very well on, any kind of milk. I, OTOH, only have two cows that *can* be milked, and only one that I do. Both of them are also feeding calves, so a gallon a day per cow is my max production; from which I have to produce the farms' butter, sour cream and drinking milk, so my chickens only get whey - which contains most of the protein, and they love as well. Most of what I make are hard cheeses (Jack, Cheddar)- and brie. I am addicted to brie, LOL. There are ways to produce many other cheese with goat milk; many of them come out softer than you're used to, but they do work. She just doesn't have enough interest/time/equipment to bother with them.

So happy i found this site.
We've just gone 'energy self sufficient' on solar, only have rain water so have lots of water tanks and plan on buying more.
Got our first chooks, sooner than expected so had to knock up a quick area for them whilst we work on the palace area that is 200ms plus their coop - plans for which i have got from here :)
we've got fallow deer on the property but no facilities for them so have to build stock yard/holding yard/ramp etc, and deer are not the easiest to move....i'd like to keep some but have to convince the OH.
we have 28acres, 8 as a house paddock with the house and my 2 horses and the chooks etc, the other 20 is for the deer which could be better utilised for something else.
I'm planning on fencing in a couple of acres and getting a few weaners, if that goes well i'll look into having a few breeding sows.
I cant wait to get the vege garden and orchard area started but cant do anything until we fence it off from the deer....
loving the suggestions/ideas :)

I will read threw this later! Always looking to be more self reliant!

One thing I've learned is that becoming self reliant or "off the grid" takes time unless you've got a lot of money to get it done in a hurry. Of course if you had that kind of money you'd probably not care about self reliance. *laugh*

Such a perfect thread to fond!! My twin and I just got a house together so we are trying to become self sufficient as much as possible! Of course raising prices on just about everything else helps with that too!!

We've already started by raising chickens and adding ducks to our household now (we should be getting eggs soon! Yay!) Eventually I will overcome my squeamishness for cleaning the chickens as we've one too many roos!

We also want to do a garden system in our frontyard
And I'd love to bee keep! But I think my neighbors will freak if they found out!
Soo many things to do/try and attempt!!!

Such a perfect thread to fond!! My twin and I just got a house together so we are trying to become self sufficient as much as possible! Of course raising prices on just about everything else helps with that too!!

We've already started by raising chickens and adding ducks to our household now (we should be getting eggs soon! Yay!) Eventually I will overcome my squeamishness for cleaning the chickens as we've one too many roos!

We also want to do a garden system in our frontyard
And I'd love to bee keep! But I think my neighbors will freak if they found out!
Soo many things to do/try and attempt!!!
Take a look at doing an aquaponics system using the duck pond to water the garden. Another member on here has done that and reports great success at keeping the water clean and nice results with the growth in the garden. Aquaponics also cuts your water use for the garden dramatically. If I can give you one piece of advice.... plan before you build, then plan again, then look over your plan again. Build it as efficient as you can the first time. Also you should start a compost pile now. Mix in green material (i.e. yard trimmings if you don't use pesticides, garden/veggie/fruit waste) with brown material (i.e. fallen leaves from last year) and water it and turn it every couple of days. If it works out well you might get some larvae in there, I have Black Soldier Fly larvae in mine, which will aid in the composting and can be used as a high protein treat for your chickens. Other than that water collection or a well and some sort of energy production (solar/wind) and you'll be doing well.

Keep in mind if you're growing organic veggies and have farm fresh/free range eggs you can sell those to neighbors for some extra money. I watched a documentary on a family in California that live on a quarter of an acre and have converted most of it into a farm. They don't have jobs other than taking care of the property (I think there were three of them living there) and have no income other than what they sell. They make on average $20,000 a year but have no food or energy costs. They collect rain water. Even the fuel for their vehicle is free as they use waste veggie oil from a local fast food place to power the diesel car they have. There are several ways to eliminate costs and become more self sufficient. Keep your mind open to possibilities and opportunities and you'll do well.

RichnSteph

Back
Top Bottom