Bedding and Perch Q's...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thunderkitty, May 8, 2007.

1. thunderkitty

thunderkitty Out Of The Brooder

I have paper towel on top of deep (6 inches) of pine shavings right now and the 24 chickies are a week & one day old now, they peck at it around the edges of the paper towel, are they ready for just bedding (getting rid of the paper towel) yet? One other question, are they needing a perch yet? I've raised their feed up and they like to sit on top of their chick feeder and have been pooping in it [​IMG] (maybe I need to put vaseline on the top LOL.) If they do need a perch how high up do you usually put it and what "specifications" should it meet (length, width, material)...Okay ONE more, when can they have treats??[​IMG]

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I have 24 chicks that are 8 days old too.[​IMG] I took up the paper towels the third day I had them because they were picking around the edges of the paper towels trying to see what was under it. They never tried to eat the pine shavings once I took up the towels though. 6 inches of shavings sounds like a lot to me, like they might sink in it or something. lol.

Two days ago I put 2 long sticks from outside in the brooder and they love them. I just laid them on the floor and they jump right on them.

As far a treats I give mine plain yogurt about 2 table spoons a day and I also let them have hard boiled egg yolk. I've only given them the egg yolk twice and no more than 3 yolks because I don't want to overdue it. They LOVE egg yolks!!!! I know they have a little grit in the chick starter feed but I'm going to wait until they're a little older before I give them more treats than I am giving them now.

Hope this helps.
    Take Care [​IMG]

3. thunderkitty

thunderkitty Out Of The Brooder

great ideas southern28chick! I was concerned it was too early with the bedding thing... I think it may be less than 6 inches this is my rough (poor) estimate. I wanted it to be enough that I could have a little water spill without having my box go moldy. I'll have to go outside tomorrow and find some nice sticks for them....and I know we have some yogurt and ishy store bought eggs laying around [​IMG] Some much good advice, thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by