1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bedding for brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NickyPick, Feb 7, 2015.

1. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Has anyone used dirt as the bedding for their new chicks instead of shavings/paper/wood pellets? Pros? Cons? I've got 20 peeps coming in next week from Ideal and I've always used shavings in the past, but, now that I'm doing deep litter in the coops and see the reduction of dust and smell, I'm wondering if that would be good for the brooder as well.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I think the dust is from the chick dander, and soil on the brooder floor won't make much of a difference. Where will you be brooding them? Please keep this post up-dated if you decide to go this way. I'm a fan of DL in a floorless coop. And I always see to it that my chicks get a square of sod very early in their brooding.

3. newwestchick

newwestchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't see why it would hurt, and if it's free why not? Like lazy gardener said it's beneficial to have sod/soil in the brooder anyways :)
    Bonus, they may find some little critters in there to keep them entertained!

ETA make use it's not something like potting soil, or anything with additives. Just dirt dug from your land. Good luck with your new babies! :jumpy

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  4. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Just wanted to update. I chickened out on the first batch of chicks and did dirt with shavings on top. There was a huge reduction in smell as the chick poop seemed to decompose so much faster. I just got a new group of chicks and they're on dirt only and I think I'll be doing this for my brooder floors from now on. When the chicks graduate out to the coop, I can put the soil out in the garden.

[​IMG]

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Thanks! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by