bedding for chicks

phillyfan95

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 6, 2011
Hi my chicks will arive in a few days and for their brooder i am planning on bedding it with pine shavings covered by paper towles for the first 3 day untill they know what their food is then switching to just the shavings. does this sound alright?

i use wood shavings not pine it can do something with their respiratory system and i use newspaper to cover the shavings for the 1st few days but it is okay to use paper towel. just make sure you change the paper towel/newspaper daily or more if you have to

Quote:
You thought right. Pine shavings are fine.
smile.png

i use wood shavings not pine it can do something with their respiratory system and i use newspaper to cover the shavings for the 1st few days but it is okay to use paper towel. just make sure you change the paper towel/newspaper daily or more if you have to

Pine or wood chip that have no cedar.
Imsorry-1.gif
but you are mistaken. Pine is OK wood chips of any kind is fine as long as there is not a lot of dust in it. The best place to get the compresses bags for around $5.00 and they open up to about 9.5 cuft of wood shavings is from the Farm and Ranch Supply! Good luck. As far as the paper towel/ Never used it I just put down 1" of shavings in 1/2 of the brooder and a little box on the other side with shaving 4" deep for them to sleep in and food and water was not in there but in the closed coop.​

pine shavings are great...paper towels are good too, or you can use old bath towels you don't mind getting poopy...I would avoid the newspaper only because it is a bit slippery....
I have not used it, I stick with paper towels.

I am the only one to suggest this one in so far but only very recently have found that I really like using hay for bedding above all else. I have raised lots of ducklings and chicks trying a multitude of methods from old towels to puppy pads to shavings to drawer liners. What do I like so much about it? While it's not as absorbent as shavings it does not have the dust factor of shavings, my house is free of the normal layer of chick kick-up
celebrate.gif
and with the bigger pieces they do not kick nearly as much into their water which means me not having to change it as often which I appreciate (still change it at least once a day) and lastly my chicks seem to enjoy searching for little seed tidbits... Just be extra careful that it is changed regularly and don't use anything that could possibly be moldy
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom