Bedding for chicks?

I use pine shavings also and i lined the top with paper towels so the baby chicks can have a better footing and also it helps make clean up a little easier.

I used to use pine shavings but the last time I brooded chicks I used the wood pellets that people burn in their pellet stoves. They worked out wonderful and I would never go back to shavings again. They are pretty inexpensive, too. I didn't find that they cut down on the dust that gets all over everything but I found that they helped with odor and didn't I didn't need to change the litter every few days like I had to do with shavings.

I like pine shavings or what I call "sweet hay" ' not wheat straw. I plan on doing a combo of both when they switch to the coop outside next week :)

I use pine pellets. I like them much better than pine shavings. I cover them with paper towels for about the first week just to make them easier for the chicks to walk on but I don't know if it is necessary. Many of the feed stores around here put the chicks on the pine pellets without paper towels.

Someone mentioned using woodstove pellets. I researched this a couple of years ago and found there is a big difference. With the woodstove pellets you don't know for sure what type of wood they are. Sometimes they may have ceder in them. The woodstove pellets are compressed much tight then bedding pellets. They don't absorb moisture as well as the bedding pellets. I did try some woodstove pellets in the brooder and did not like them nearly as well as the pine. Pine pellets are available at most feed stores. I can get a 40lb bag of them for under $5.00.

I use regular straw..... I would use pine shavings but can't seem to find any. Go figure! The straw works just fine, although I think it would be too hard for brand new babies to get a footing in. I'm sure the shavings or pellets would do better with absorbing odors and liqued.

Someone mentioned using woodstove pellets. Pine pellets are available at most feed stores. I can get a 40lb bag of them for under $5.00.

Maybe that is what I used. I got them at the feed store but assumed they were the same as fireplace pellets. They were very absorbent compared to pine shavings. I highly recommend them.

We just got our baby buff Orpingtons yesterday (6 pullets). The feed store that we got them at said we needed shavings and suggested cedar. Which we got, this is our first go at this. Then today I read not to use hardwood so promptly went and purchased pine shavings. I am a little peeved at the feed store for suggesting cedar shavings. The chicks are doing well today. What is the issue with cedar? I am going to use it as mulch around a tree.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom