Bedding for Duck House? Hay or Shavings?

I think you'll just have to try everything and decide what works best for you and your situation. Personally, I use the pelleted bedding and think it works great for the ducks and geese. I like it because it does absorb a lot and since their droppings are mostly water, it works well for me and mine. When it gets wet it does break down, I just rake it all even and add a little PDZ and another bag on top. For my birds, the straw was terrible. They packed it down and the goo and moisture stayed on top of it. It had to be taken out instead of worked in like the pellets. I do have a pan under the waterer so it catches most of the water, that helps too. You'll just have to find the lesser of all evils. Any way you look at it, they are messy little buggers. Good luck!

rubber mat just as slimy as the shelf liner,...although at least I can bring it out and hose off in morning and let dry while they are hanging out.
I love the astroturf idea,.. Might be worth a shot

I've only had 4 ducks in the poultry house at once, with 11 chickens. It doesn't get too bad using shavings under the chickens' roost and straw in other places. Ducks like the straw to lay their eggs.
My rule is no food or drink in the bedroom! So no sloppy messes. They're outside from the time I get up until they go to bed, usually around dusk.

I use wood shavings in my coop area, but in the outside run that is attached I have pea gravel and this is where I feed and water them. I just spray run area with a hose and it keeps it fairly clean.

DO NOT use pelleted bedding! It's the worst to clean up and REEKS! Hay is the best for odor reducing and by far easiest to change!
You can leave them some water in their coop if you feel it is necessary! I'm going to leave food and water for mine--also putting a heat lamp for some heat but mainly for light!

I bed with shavings.. straw added in winter for warmth and/or nest boxes.. I am using a bit of hay for the girls at the moment though, i have two broody since I am out of straw for the season. My floor has rubber stalls mats down too. I clean daily, there is food/water in there 24/7... I need a heated bucket still dipping well below freezing.

Back
Top Bottom