bedding? hay or pine shavings?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by frizzleman74, May 7, 2011.

1. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    what is better do you think. Ccnsiderations are composting, absorbency, price, how often you need to change the bedding! Thanks

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I like pine shavings. When I used hay it would pack down and mat up with poop. The shavings are easier to keep stirred and they absorb alot more moister before you need to change them out.

Matt

3. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I use shavings. They are easier to clean up and sow into the garden a lot easier than straw.

4. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Quote:x2
    Straw will mold & cause illness if it gets wet & isn't noticed & replaced. Pine shavings are more absorbant & dry out faster.

5. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    I use hay but am new to this. I do notice that it does get packed down and gross. Not sure about cost for pine shavings but a bale of hay in Lakeland is about $5. I'm looking forward to seeing what others say. Have a wonderful time!

6. AlabamaChickenLady

AlabamaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    I've never used hay, but I have considered it for the nest boxes. I use the deep litter method, with pine chips. They are easy to stir up, and they absorb well also. I only have to change my shavings every 3-4 months, depending on how fast it breaks down. It also mulches pretty fast after I remove it from the coop. I have also put the used pine chips into the run area

Since the weather has really warmed up down here, I put in a little bit of cedar chips to offset the smell a little the last time. I worked too. My coop is 12ft X 6ft and I use 3 bags of pine chips ever 3-4 months. Thats not to bad and its affordable to. Hope this helps you.

7. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I use pine shavings. I also use the DLM so I only do a total clean-out a few times a year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by