1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bedding in Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicken995, May 16, 2011.

1. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    I know most people use pine shavings or sand, but would shavings from maple/poplar/oak/alder work? I know it's best to keep the cedar away, but are those woods okay? I ask because a guy not very far from me has tons of it and is giving it away.

Here is the craigslist post.

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/zip/2380985288.html

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I think only cedar is a problem but I'm not an expert. My understanding is it the oils/aromatics of the cedar that poses a risk.

3. mdguffey

mdguffey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    La Salle, Colorado
    i think i have access from the same place. has anyone used this yet?? any problems? would like to hear from anyone who has used this type for nesting boxes. thanks

4. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I don't see a problem with it I used wood chips and saw dust from all types of trees, I get it for free from my local sawmill.

5. mdguffey

Sep 8, 2011
    La Salle, Colorado
    i am just a little leery, so many say don't, it'll harm the hens, and others say it's fine. ill go slow and try it in a box or 2 and see what happens.

6. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    My brother cuts a lot of trees, oak, ash, hickory, and many others. I have used his chainsaw shavings without and problems at all.
    Then again, in the past I've used cedar too, because I thought it would reduce the chance of insect infestations.
    I've had hens that lived 8-10 years, with no real health problems. (The one that lived the longest was killed by a preditor, not disease.)

My coop is very open with lots of ventilation, so that could be a factor.

7. mdguffey

Sep 8, 2011
    La Salle, Colorado
    from the sound of it, it seems to not be a problem, i do appreciate all the feedback, i wouldnt want to do anything to harm my hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by